Render to texture in Canvas ?

liviucliviuc Posts: 2

Hi,

Is is possible to render to a texture in Canvas ? I'd like to use InlineDrawing/OGL to render a mesh (with custom shaders) into a GL texture, which I should then be able to export to a file.

If it's not possible at that level, would there be a way to grab the OGL context of Canvas and perform render-to-texture from there ? I'd like to avoid writing a complete OGL renderer and rather reuse as much from InlineDrawing as possible.

Any pointer in the right direction is highly appreciated !
Thanks
Liviu

Comments

• borjaborja Posts: 432 admin

Hi @liviuc

There is no builtin presets to do this, but @AlexanderM created a canvas graph to allow to save the viewport render to disk and shared it at http://forums.fabricengine.com/discussion/comment/4430/#Comment_4430

We plan in the future to add this functionality to the builtin toolset of Fabric!

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

• liviucliviuc Posts: 2

Hi Borja - and thanks for your answer.

Because I need to render many frames, ideally I'd like to be able to render to a framebuffer and the save the result to disk - while reusing InlineDrawing rendering. In the meanwhile I've figured out how to approach this, my code currently looks something like this:

[...]

glBindFramebuffer(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, framebuffers[0]);
    SInt32 aiViewport[];
    aiViewport.resize(4);
    glGetIntegerv(GL_VIEWPORT, aiViewport);
    glViewport(0,0,256,256); // Render on the whole framebuffer, complete from the lower left corner to the upper right

*[render stuff using InlineDrawing API, shapes, etc. - actually, this does not render anything, it just adds shapes to the scene which should be rendered by the central render callback]

glReadBuffer(GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0);

image = Image2DRGBA();
    image.resize(256, 256);
    glReadPixels(0, 0, 256, 256, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, image.pixels.data());

[save image using OpenImageOutput KL wrappers]

I am currently stuck trying to trigger rendering the InlineDraw at *. It does look like the setting up the framebuffer and saving it to the disk works fine (I'm clearing it to green and the exported image is green :))

In the docs I've found this:
    http://docs.fabric-engine.com/FabricEngine/2.4.0/HTML/KLExtensionsGuide/InlineDrawing/integration.html#inlinedrawing-extension-integration

It suggests to use the Fabric C++ API to trigger the rendering. After creating the FabricCore::RTVal of the DrawContext (object) it says:

"You will then need to fill all of its members accordingly. See the KL snippet below for more detail."

However, there is no KL snippet below and I am totally puzzled as to what I should fill in. At the moment I call this function from KL right after setting up things, but it does not seem to render anything:

FabricCore::RTVal drawContext = FabricSplice::constructObjectRTVal("DrawContext");

try
    {
        printf("Now drawing OGL context \n");
        FabricSplice::SceneManagement::drawOpenGL(drawContext);
    }

Could you please help me figure out how to trigger rendering of the InlineDrawing after setting up my framebuffer ?

Thanks and regards,
    Liviu