Kraken for Maya 2017 (non-technical)

DraxisDraxis Posts: 7
edited May 24 in Kraken Rigging Framework

Greetings Fabric Engine Kraken team!

I am so excited about Kraken for Maya and Softimage! What an amazing creation!

I have managed to "Release the Kraken!" in Maya 2016 and 2017 & Kraken stand-alone. It seems to be working fine with a few hiccups here and there. I am not really a programmer, just an artist so please do excuse my lack of knowledge when it comes to coding.

Like sometimes i get these freezes where maya just freezes completely while using fabric/kraken.

here is my maya2017kraken.bat:

set FABRIC_PATH=C:\Ftool\FabricEngine-2.5.0-Windows-x86_64

set KRAKEN_PATH=C:\Ftool\FabricEngine-2.5.0-Windows-x86_64\Tools\Kraken

set KRAKEN_PATHS=C:\Ftool\FabricEngine-2.5.0-Windows-x86_64\Tools\Kraken\Python\kraken_components

set PATH=%FABRIC_PATH%\bin;%PATH%

set FABRIC_EXTS_PATH=%FABRIC_PATH%\Exts;%FABRIC_EXTS_PATH%;%KRAKEN_PATH%\KLExts;

set PYTHONPATH=%PYTHONPATH%;%FABRIC_PATH%\Python\2.7;%KRAKEN_PATH%\Python;

set MAYA_MODULE_PATH=%KRAKEN_PATH%\SpliceIntegrations\FabricSpliceMaya2017;%KRAKEN_PATH%\DCCIntegrations\maya;

start /d "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2017\bin" maya.exe

#

Also, i have Visual Studio 2015 with C++ running, and python 2.7 (x64-bit) is also running i also managed to install pyside & sphynx and other things with pip.

for QT, i downloaded and installed QT4.3 and set a path C:\Qt\qtcreator-4.3.0.

I am a bit confused about maya 2017 working with PySide2. I found a link in one of the discussions but it was broken

Sorry for the long post, I have been trying hard to Release the Kraken!

Any guidance would much appreciated.

Comments

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

Hi @Draxis

It is hard to tell what could be going on without more details. When you say maya freezes while using fabric/kraken it means you have the kraken editor open, or just playing in maya with the resulting rig?

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

• DraxisDraxis Posts: 7
    edited May 25

Hi @borja

Thank you for replying. It looks like I have posted in the wrong place.
    Its more stable now I went through all the installation again and the system is stable now. The problem i was having was when I was attempting to create a generic biped rig, I was getting errors and crashes.

I have a few questions if you dont mind:

Whats the difference between using the Kraken system from C:\Ftool\FabricEngine-2.5.0-Windows-x86_64\Tools\Kraken
    VS
    using the Kraken system from C:\Ftool\Kraken-kraken_v1.2.5

What effect do i need to expect when calling Kraken from those two different locations?
    Does it make a difference when i create custom python controllers for example?

Also, when posing the guides in maya, how do i make the posing of the guides symmetrical?

Thank you very much for your help

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

@Draxis

Good to hear! Since now Kraken is officially included in Fabric, we are not deploying Kraken separately. Its latest version is 1.2.5 while Fabric Engine 2.5.0 comes with Kraken 1.2.6. So, you should only rely on the Kraken that comes with Fabric from now on.

Regards

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

• EricTEricT Administrator, Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 305 admin

@Draxis there is currently not a way to make them symmetrical automatically. One thing you can do is instance the component, build the guide, then copy / paste the component with the symmetry paste option. Then build the guide again and it should be symmetrical. This is an area we need to improve and there are things going on behind the scenes to improve it in the future.

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

Hello @EricT ,
    Thanks for replying :)

First of all I just wanted to say that i am a huge fan of your work with exocortex species and kraken.
    I am really thankful about fabric engine and kraken being open source. Its really empowering!
    I am an XSI 2015 SP2 and MAYA user and seeing this seamless interaction between both applications is astounding, still trying to release the kraken on XSI at the moment, windows 10 is weird. maybe win7 is better, struggling with pyqt and stuff. I will keep trying until i get it right :)

When I run XSI with this .bat:

@ECHO OFF
    ECHO "Releasing The Kraken!"

call C:\Ftool\FabricEngine-2.5.0-Windows-x86_64\environment.bat

set KRAKEN_PATH=C:\Ftool\FabricEngine-2.5.0-Windows-x86_64\Tools\Kraken
    set FABRIC_EXTS_PATH=%FABRIC_EXTS_PATH%;\Exts;%KRAKEN_PATH%\Exts;
    set FABRIC_DFG_PATH=%FABRIC_DFG_PATH%;%KRAKEN_PATH%\Presets\DFG;
    set PYTHONPATH=%PYTHONHOME%;%FABRIC_PATH%;C:\Ftool\FabricEngine-2.5.0-Windows-x86_64\Tools\Kraken\Python;

call "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Softimage 2015 SP2\Application\bin\XSI.bat"

echo OFF

I can build guides but when i build rig i get this error:

[ INFO ] Success Loading Modules
    [ INFO ] Building Guide
    [ INFORM ] Guide Rig Build Success
    [ ERROR ] Error Building
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Ftool\FabricEngine-2.5.0-Windows-x86_64\Tools\Kraken\Python\kraken\ui\GraphView\kgraph_view_widget.py", line 326, in buildRig
    self._builder.build(rig)
    File "C:\Ftool\FabricEngine-2.5.0-Windows-x86_64\Tools\Kraken\Python\kraken\core\builder.py", line 698, in build
    self._buildPhase_ConstraintsOperators)
    File "C:\Ftool\FabricEngine-2.5.0-Windows-x86_64\Tools\Kraken\Python\kraken\core\builder.py", line 644, in __buildSceneItemList
    self.__buildSceneItem(kObject, phase)
    File "C:\Ftool\FabricEngine-2.5.0-Windows-x86_64\Tools\Kraken\Python\kraken\core\builder.py", line 589, in __buildSceneItem
    dccSceneItem = self.buildKLOperator(kObject, buildName)
    File "C:\Ftool\FabricEngine-2.5.0-Windows-x86_64\Tools\Kraken\Python\kraken\plugins\si_plugin\builder.py", line 762, in buildKLOperator
    return self.buildCanvasOperator(kOperator, buildName, isKLBased=True)
    File "C:\Ftool\FabricEngine-2.5.0-Windows-x86_64\Tools\Kraken\Python\kraken\plugins\si_plugin\builder.py", line 1013, in buildCanvasOperator
    solverVarName + ".value")
    TypeError: can only concatenate tuple (not "str") to tuple

If i build biped guide i get this error:

ERROR : Traceback (most recent call last):

File "", line 182, in KrakenBuildBipedGuide_Execute

builtRig = builder.build(guideRig)

File "C:\Ftool\FabricEngine-2.5.0-Windows-x86_64\Tools\Kraken\Python\kraken\core\builder.py", line 698, in build

self._buildPhase_ConstraintsOperators)

File "C:\Ftool\FabricEngine-2.5.0-Windows-x86_64\Tools\Kraken\Python\kraken\core\builder.py", line 644, in __buildSceneItemList

self.__buildSceneItem(kObject, phase)

File "C:\Ftool\FabricEngine-2.5.0-Windows-x86_64\Tools\Kraken\Python\kraken\core\builder.py", line 589, in __buildSceneItem

dccSceneItem = self.buildKLOperator(kObject, buildName)

File "C:\Ftool\FabricEngine-2.5.0-Windows-x86_64\Tools\Kraken\Python\kraken\plugins\si_plugin\builder.py", line 762, in buildKLOperator

return self.buildCanvasOperator(kOperator, buildName, isKLBased=True)

File "C:\Ftool\FabricEngine-2.5.0-Windows-x86_64\Tools\Kraken\Python\kraken\plugins\si_plugin\builder.py", line 1013, in buildCanvasOperator

solverVarName + ".value")

TypeError: can only concatenate tuple (not "str") to tuple

- [line 181 in C:\Ftool\FabricEngine-2.5.0-Windows-x86_64\Tools\Kraken\DCCIntegrations\softimage\Application\Plugins\kraken_si.py]

ERROR : OLE error 0x80020101

Also when i do things in XSI it stops working on Maya and vice versa
    This is one of the hardest installations in my life :smiley:
    Sorry I am not very technical. Should i just downgrade to windows 7?

I am still getting used to the Fabric engine workflow and I'm still familiarizing myself with the engine.

So far, from what I understood, to send character rigs from maya to fabric or softimage i need to use the fabric engine rigging toolbox to package all my bones and skin weights in a custom ABC file using the provided .py and .kl scripts and only then will I be able to send the characters between fabric maya xsi and unreal. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks for the tip about symmetric rigging, I really don't mind rebuilding the guide as many times as needed.

I'm very excited about learning more and more about Fabric Kraken workflow.

Sorry for the long post, I hope you can help me.

Hey @EricT !
    sorry for that long post i just noticed you answered the softimage pyqt many times it would be redundant for you to answer me again here about it. i will keep trying uninstalling and reinstalling the py stuff.
    Cheers

• anhungxadieuanhungxadieu Posts: 108

regarding pyqt for xsi. I think you should put this line in that .bat file
    PYTHONPATH=%HOMEDRIVE%\Program Files\Autodesk\Softimage 2015 SP2\Application\Python\Lib\site-packages;%PYTHONPATH%

Thụy Nguyễn
    CG Artist

• EricTEricT Administrator, Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 305 admin

@Draxis I'm not sure what those errors are. I'll try to have a look soon to retest in Softimage. As for the PyQt issues, I'm not sure what the issue is. Maybe check that PyQtForSoftimage is installed properly and you have the latest version.

As for skinning, for now you need to explore a solution on your own. We don't have a workflow in place right now for easily handling skinning. As you mentioned the workflow described in the RiggingToolbox is a valid one if you can get that all up and running. That repo is a bit old and outdated so you may run into issues and will need to update the code as needed. We're going to be working on solutions for skinning in the future.

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework