Kraken Maya to Houdini

Hello, I was wondering if Kraken Maya to Houdini was possible.

Tagged:

Comments

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

What do you have in mind?
    Kraken is a set of tools inside FE - as long as your rigging and rig-dependent work is done within that framework, the hosting application doesn't matter. You can use Maya, Houdini, Unreal or whatever provides an FE environment.
    Kraken does not provide any magic to get the rig (by this I mean solvers like IK) out of the framework, you will be bound to FK and exported weights if you do not want to animate through the FE pipeline.
    The whole idea of having a "hostable" rigging framework is to solve exactly this problem: As long as every DCC provides its own system, porting rigs is almost impossible (at least completely unfeasable). By using FE as the backend tech to provide solvers, dependencies, in short: THE RIG, but using the DCC as the animators working environment, you can "port" from one application to another (in reality you are not doing any porting, but just exchange the controlling environment, but keep the rig inside FE).
    That's the theory, at least.

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

• AhmidouAhmidou Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi @malbrecht
    It actually does matter as the process involve rebuilding the rig in the host DCC from an exported Kraken graph.
    It means a builder needs to done for Houdini( wrapping a bunch of objects and functions).

which I'm sure is in @EricT 's plan as soon the 1st Houdini version will be released.

• DraxisDraxis Posts: 7

Thank you for your replies.
    Okay, so I think the answer is YES @malbrecht.
    By what i understood from your reply, I need to build the rig and give it fabric engine solvers for it to have all the needed features to work in any software.
    I couldn't find any FE i installation for houdini on the web.
    My plan is to simply create a software agnostic animation pipeline so that any user who wants to animate for a certain assignment to be able to use any package they like.

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 755 ✭✭✭
    edited September 17

Hi,

(...) to work in any software. I couldn't find any FE i installation for houdini on the web.

FE for Houdini is in development and not yet publicly available. Note that it is unlikely that Fabric will ever be available in "any" (as in "every") software.

My plan is to simply create a software agnostic animation pipeline so that any user who wants to animate for a certain assignment to be able to use any package they like.

I like the usage of the word "simply" here :-)

In a perfect world that might be possible. I can imagine it to become almost feasable in the near future for game development environments. I consider it implausible for complex rigs / large scale (movie) animation, documentation or industrial (proof of concept) animation / rigging.

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

• Gustavo BoehsGustavo Boehs Posts: 66 ✭✭

From what I understand you can "play" a Kraken character anywhere where Fabric Engine is implemented. You can export a Kraken character as its own KL Extension and export the animation as a Json file.
    But to create Kraken characters or manipulate them, yes, a Kraken implementation would be needed on-top of the host application.

• EricTEricT Administrator, Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 306 admin

Hi All,

Ahmidou and Gustavo have got it right. We need a full integration of Fabric in Houdini to support the Canvas ops that drive the poses via solvers. Then we need to build the Kraken builder class that calls the Houdini commands to build things like nulls and groups etc.

However as Gustavo mentions, we have a KL builder that outputs a rig to a KL extension and that rig can be instanced anywhere Fabric is available. However it's not a manipulate-able rig, you have to drive transforms of controls by something (FBX or Alembic).

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

• anhungxadieuanhungxadieu Posts: 108

Because FE 2.6 have animX and new manipulator frame work, i think it's possible to animate directly in FE.

Thụy Nguyễn
    CG Artist

• AhmidouAhmidou Posts: 187 ✭✭
    edited September 18

@anhungxadieu sure, but that's a pretty big task as I believe you would need a decent graph editor, and a complete interaction, callback and shortcuts system to interact with the rig.

• EricTEricT Administrator, Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 306 admin

Yes you'd need to implement a UI that is able to get / set data from the AnimX curves and also the other usual animator related tools you'd expect. This is possible but it's a huge undertaking.

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework