Bullet Dynamics in Fabric in modo in extasy

malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

Comments

• EricTEricT Administrator, Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 304 admin

To be fair though, the original simulation has the geometry being deformed in the DCC right? Using Fabric, you're just using the Inline Drawing to draw the mesh.

I'd be interested in seeing a Fabric deformer driving the mesh by the simulation and not just inline drawing of the mesh.

Looking good though!

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015

Hi, Eric,

To be fair though, the original simulation has the geometry being deformed in the DCC right?

Yes and no - it's a "life simulation", so the simulation is not baked (in that respect it's directly comparable), BUT it is the DCC that is doing the geometry "build" and display. If I would BAKE the simulation in modo (which would take a tad longer than the life simulation, because in BAKING all sub-frame iterations are carried out, which are ignored in the life preview!), the playback (of the baked sim) would be near real time.

Both sims are "life simulated".

Fabric, right now, can not draw in modo's viewport, it is pushing out geometry only - and modo is displaying that geometry as a kind of a static mesh, which is faster than the "life deformed". In that respect what you are seeing is the Fabric deformer driving the mesh geometry and pushing that geometry to the DCC for display (no inline drawing here).

The speed advantages most likely come from modo using only one CPU core for Bullet, while Fabric uses Bullet's multi core abilities (and the geometry creation is PEX-ed) AND Fabric most likely has a more recent Bullet version compiled in (Bullet did get some performance updates recently).

Marc

• EricTEricT Administrator, Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 304 admin

Ah didn't get a full view of the graph so that's great to hear! :smile:

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

• Aaron KentAaron Kent Posts: 66 ✭✭

Marc - the video on this thread is private - is there a password to view it?

Cheers

AK

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Hi, Aaron,

I apologize, I prefer to do a more elaborate version on that video to opening it up to the public ... that video only demonstrated a direct comparison of a 64x64 soft body simulation in modo's bullet version versus Fabric's (no second collision body), there's no how-to-setup, it was just a simple test to see how well bullet can perform.

I am planning to do a "how-to-setup bullet stuff in Fabric" next (after the mesh-painting tutorial), since OlivierD asked for some getting started help.

Marc

Background:
    I blocked over 50% of my modo videos/tutorials due to false assumptions and even lies circulating behind my back. If modo-people prefer tearing their mouths to talking with me, fine, I learned my lesson. I'll do videos for integrating modo and Fabric; in hindsight I should never have published this video in the first place without "bullet proof" (sorry for the pun) technical details, to not give those monkeys sugar. I was excited to finally get PERFORMANCE out of modo and that joy made me press "upload" :)