Psyop Part 2: Holiday Sweaters

Roy NieterauRoy Nieterau Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Link

See: Customer Stories: Pysop Part 2: Holiday Sweaters

Brief story

What do you get if you cross a sheep with a kangaroo? A woolly jumper, according to the classic kids’ joke. It wasn’t quite that simple for the team at Psyop who were commissioned by advertising agency Argonaut to make a 30-second holiday spot for Cricket Wireless featuring several woolly jumpers. We spoke with Psyop Software Engineer Jonah Friedman, CG Lead/Supervisor Kyle Cassidy and Producer Stephanie Gocke to find out how Fabric Engine enabled them to digitally knit a bunch of realistic – albeit comic – sweaters in time for the holiday season.

I didn't see this posted to the forums yet and I thought it was an awesome customer story! (Let me know if I'm taking the lead too much here @Paul Doyle)

Comments

• Paul DoylePaul Doyle Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 229 admin

It was on my todo list for today, Roy :) Thank you - I shall get back to my mince pies now

CEO at Fabric Software
    Twitter

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

VERY nice entwiner work! Love it!

Question: Where you hand-animating the folds of the fabric (pun intended) or did you use a collision detection helper (like Bullet or whatever)?

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

• Roy NieterauRoy Nieterau Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

It looks as if a cloth simulation was done on the lower res (regular) polygon mesh that acted as input for the conversion to strand mesh. The article doesn't mention it, but the cloth anim looks like most sims. :)

I wonder whether the strands were regenerated each frame on the deformed meshes or whether they were generated on a static mesh and moved by bind/wrapping it to the deforming mesh.

• jfriedmanjfriedman Fabric for Houdini Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi Roy,

The cloth sim was done by Nelio Naut in ncloth. The strands were created on each frame (but in a deterministic way).

There was also some other work that had to be done as intermediary steps. The mesh was cut apart into sections of grid topology, which then got converted to something we call 'murbs', short for mesh-nurbs. Then the curve tiling work happened on the murbs surfaces, after which the curves get turned into very dense yarns. You can see the tiled curves but not yarn yet step in the viewport in one of the screenshots.

Happy to answer any other questions, and I'm glad you liked it!

• tcrowsontcrowson Posts: 12

"Fabric" Engine.... I see what you did there....

-Tim Crowson
    Lighting Artist, Generalist, Modo Tester