Code Completion in Canvas Code Editor?

JudahJudah Posts: 64

I don't do much coding in the embedded code editor, but when I do I really miss code completion and all that comes with a modern development environment. It's especially helpful for people new to KL because this is generally their first introduction to the language.

-Judah

Tagged:

Comments

• Roy NieterauRoy Nieterau Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

+1. Most of the features of any bigger IDE are welcome (though it's not my highest priority).

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

Hi Judah

I agree that it would help newbies to adopt KL and is libraries much faster.
    We have this in our long term roadmap in the ticket FE-5214.

Cheers!

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

• JudahJudah Posts: 64

Another thought regarding the embedded editor, but not so much for the newbie: I would really like to be able to edit a KL func node using text-only. I found that I'm sometimes hesitating to create new function nodes within the graph and it comes down to the modality of the process as limited by the structure of the UI.

1. First, you lose sight of the graph when you edit code due to the polymorphic nature of the main editor window - it performs multiple roles, but only one at a time. This causes some other problems in managing and tuning a large graph. For example, the value editor only displays the currently selected node, but you may need to change a value on an upstream or downstream node to test the section of graph you are currently developing. Multiple, modeless editors that could be pointed at specified targets would help significantly here. I understand that complicates the UI system, but I think it would improve overall utility.
    2. Second, interacting with the GUI to set up a function is clumsy. I would much prefer a pure text version of that call signature interface. This would make refactoring simpler because you could do a search and replace when names/types change, etc. In the current system this is not possible, so the workflow I've adopted is to copy the code out into my text editor, perform the operations there, then slog through the call signature phase within Canvas - hoping I hit everything.It's certainly not the end of the world, but the workflow is not smooth and leaves a lot to be desired.

-J