How to access the Fabric for Unreal beta

Kevin TureskiKevin Tureski Posts: 126 ✭✭
edited September 1 in Fabric for Unreal (Beta)

Welcome to the Unreal Integration category, an area to ask and answer questions, report bugs and share suggestions,

How to get access to Fabric for Unreal

September 1 2017: We are pleased to announce the beta 23 release for the Fabric For Unreal plugin.

Follow this link to download it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fr73lwfcpj71af1/FabricForUnreal-4.17.1-beta23.exe?dl=0

The package contains an Unreal plugin based on August 31 2017 2.7.0 daily build of Fabric and has been built against Unreal 4.17.1. Currently we only support Windows and x86_64 packaging.

The expiration date of this drop is October 15th

Data is imported in Fabric for Unreal by using Import Asset Patterns.

Import Asset Patterns are Canvas graphs which describe the import process of data programmatically. You can edit the graph and take control over what happens when you bring things into the target application. This means that you are building a versatile utility which is smart enough to deal with your data once - and then use this recipe (the import pattern) for all of your data sets.

You can find the standard import patterns shipping with the plugin in the Importers folder. You can also add more folders to the search path by defining the FABRIC_IMPORTERS_PATH environment variable. Folders listed on that variable will show up as sub menus in the Fabric top menu within the Unreal Engine editor. You can iterate quickly by authoring the import pattern in Canvas and testing it within Unreal. You can launch canvas by opening the plugin installation folder (within the Unreal Engine editor pick the corresponding entry in the Fabric top menu) and double clicking on the canvas.bat file on windows.

Find more information on how to author import patterns in: http://forums.fabricengine.com/discussion/899/authoring-import-patterns-for-unreal

Fabric for Unreal also includes support for Behaviors.

Behaviors are a powerful new feature which let you describe interactive / animated behaviors for each actor already in the Canvas Import Asset Pattern. The behavior is then applied inside Unreal engine as a Component.

A good example is a door. You might already know in the source file which actors are going to be doors. You can then apply the behavior to each door in the Import Pattern programmatically and Fabric will apply the right components within Unreal.

The plugin ships with an example Import Pattern called BehaviorDemo. It applies the Rotating Movement component as well as a custom component to each actor. To try this out create a custom blueprint component called MyBehavior in the root of your Unreal project. The BehaviorDemo pattern will then apply the Rotating Movement component as well as your own custom blueprint component to each actor.

Note: Please save the 3dm Rhino files in shaded mode.
Our plugin relies on the Rhino render meshes. If you don't save the scenes in shaded mode they won't open correctly in Unreal.

How to launch Fabric for Unreal

The drop comes as a fully encapsulated installer.

1. Double click the installer
  2. When asked for a license inside of Unreal please copy and paste your personal license into the edit box at the bottom of the dialog.

You should see the Fabric Engine top menu now.

Team Fabric

Tagged:

Comments

• HelgeHelge Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 314 Fabric Employee

Hey guys,

find some canvas graphs attached you can use with the fabric blue print node. You can also open these in the canvas standalone to inspect how they have been built. Apologies for inconsistencies between videos and these, the files should work fine so let me know if you hit any barriers!

Best!

Research Engineer @ Fabric Software

Hey everyone - we've just updated the top post in this thread with new instructions. Deployment and testing is much simpler now, we've updated to Unreal Editor 4.10.2 as well as the latest 2.0.1 of Fabric Engine. Let us know if you hit an barriers!

• robeasthamrobeastham Posts: 8
    edited February 2016

Thanks for updating the beta files to work with 4.10.2 and also providing some updated examples. I can confirm that the new file all work fine and all the examples load. I no longer receive the Alembic error in mentioned in my previous post and I can load alembic files and manually tweak the time or index property.That's great news and a step in the right direction towards what I'm trying to achieve.

If anyone can give me some pointers on how to achieve Alembic, or even procedural, animation at runtime that would be great. I've started a new post here with some more details.

• LalancelotLalancelot Posts: 41

I downloaded Fabric for Unreal, and found out the word "Windows" in it. I guess it won't work on a Linux station. Am I right?

Yes - the drop is windows only for now. Sorry about that.

• mmoyesmmoyes Posts: 1
    edited April 2016

Why are the launcher scripts only for linux when its a windows release

I converted it to a batch file if anyone wants it ( I think it works).
    Remember to change UE_410_INSTALL_DIR to wherever your unreal is installed to

CALL environment.bat

SET PYTHON_VERSION=%_OLD_PYTHON_VERSION%
    SET UE_410_INSTALL_DIR="E:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.10"

SET FABRIC_EXTS_PATH=%FABRIC_DIR%\Exts
    SET FABRIC_DFG_PATH=%FABRIC_DIR%\Presets\DFG
    SET PATH=%PATH%;%FABRIC_DIR%\lib;%FABRIC_DIR%\bin

%UE_410_INSTALL_DIR%\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor.exe %FABRIC_DIR%\FabricForUnreal\FabricForUnreal.uproject

Hey guys, I've updated the post to contain the most recent unreal integration instructions. it's much easier to use now and focuses on the use of Alembic + 3dm directly within Unreal Engine 4. There's going to be a blog post later today. We'll link it here as well.

• guellemguellem Posts: 1

How does the OpenNurbs importer for Unreal Engine handle Rhino materials from 3rd party rendering engines?

• pakornpakorn Posts: 23
    edited May 2016
  • Paul DoylePaul Doyle Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 229 admin

Hi - please post as a separate thread. This thread is purely for download instructions. Thanks, Paul

CEO at Fabric Software
    Twitter

• alex1234alex1234 Posts: 9

HI

I m trying out Fabric for Unreal using 3dm file. It really looks promising. One question, in Rhino my textures are positioned correctly but in Unreal my UVs are upside down resulting in a upside down texture position. Any ideas ?

thanks

Alexandre

• Paul DoylePaul Doyle Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 229 admin

hi Alex - please post as a separate thread :)
    Thanks,

Paul

CEO at Fabric Software
    Twitter

edited June 2016

hey gang,

just updated to beta 5.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uzg42bay6sz2gi/FabricForUnreal-4.11.2-beta5.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8m47ns0x4vyvzy/FabricForUnreal-4.12.0-beta5.zip?dl=0

Changes in this version:

• new blueprint node for alembic animation playback, including loop and speed settings
    • 3dm blocks are now imported based on their visibility
    • fix for 3dm reloading (unit was incorrect - thus scaling incorrect)
    • 3dm render material roughness now defaults to 1.0
    • 3dm materials are put into the right folder: Materials/FileName/Render
    • 3dm materials are not reset if the user assigned another material manually
    • 3dm materials are sharing the same material instance
    • 3dm option to toggle the automatic setup of materials on or off
    • 3dm actors are now named based on their uuid

Let me know how things go!

edited June 2016

Hey gang,

just updated to beta 6.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/38drq5fhcixta4n/FabricForUnreal-4.12.2-Windows-beta6.zip?dl=0

Changes in this version:

• switched to Unreal 4.12.2
    • fixes for alembic animation playback
    • mobility setting for 3dm is always "static"
    • textures are now supported for 3dm
    • convex hull collision volumes can now be created automatically using a layer mask

Hey gang,

just updated to beta 7.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dczuxyzkdcd8oz5/FabricForUnreal-4.12.3-Windows-beta7.zip?dl=0

Changes in this version:

• switched to Unreal 4.12.3
    • fixes for alembic when using empty timesampling
    • new feature to enable / disable updating of transforms both in the dialog as well as per actor
    • support for linked blocks for 3dm
    • MAJOR FEATURE: New Lightmap UVs generation algorithm with new settings both for alembic + 3dm
    • updated the dialog logic to show file dialog first and then the options.

The focus of this release is the new UV generation. They should help you to avoid overlaps + perform proper fixes of polygons without any area. Please test this well and report back. We are not certain that this will suffice so any feedback is welcome!

Please file any bugs to bugs@fabricengine.com

Hey gang,

just updated to beta 8.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ec4z0qxsfjgp4w/FabricForUnreal-4.12.4-Windows-beta8.zip?dl=0

Lots of good stuff in this version:

Changes in this version:

• Alembic performance optimizations
    • Support for alembic cameras (through sequence import)
    • Support for face sets through alembic (multiple materials per object)
    • Alembic export - export complete unreal scenes for camera animation in Maya
    • Alembic import to Unreal Sequences - support for Alembic animation in the Unreal sequencer
    • Small fix: Non-animated alembic actors are not imported as "static" actors
    • Alembic Material pipeline support. Please use the provided script (Maya/Scripts/AlembicExport.py) to export your files.

I'll also do a quick update video for you guys.

File bugs to bugs@fabricengine.com

And here's the overview video as promised. Feel free to download the file for easier viewing.

• Kevin TureskiKevin Tureski Posts: 126 ✭✭

I've put the video on Vimeo. Password is "unb8"

edited July 2016

Hey gang,

just updated to beta 9.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ggfb2mqmtm5bcij/FabricForUnreal-4.12.5-Windows-beta9.zip?dl=0

This is the version we are going to show at Siggraph in a week from now!

Changes in this version:

• Support for the AbcTime in the Unreal sequencer - you can now drive animations from the sequencer
    • New import for Alembic: Import as Sequence. This creates an animation sequence out of an alembic file which you can use in the Sequencer!
    • Support for output logs - errors and warnings are now captured in the standard unreal message log and shown after imports.
    • Support for face sets for Alembic - multiple materials per mesh
    • Support for materials with alembic: we provide a new script now for Maya which you can run to export the selection - it will save an auxiliary file with material information. This is the first prototype for a material pipeline maya -> unreal.
    • Blueprint: Support for animateActorTransform for 3dm actors
    • New lightmap workflow menu: Change lightmap resolutions for a selection of objects quickly
    • First drop of a "decouple" workflow. You can now decouple a scene from the referenced 3dm or alembic file. This is important for a deployment to standalone or mobile targets. (you will have to remove the plugin from the project for mobile deployment for now).

We are excited to show the features off at Siggraph - come see us if you are around! We are going to demo the Unreal plugin at our user group as well - find the schedule here: http://forums.fabricengine.com/discussion/625/fabric-at-siggraph-2016#latest

best,

Helge

edited August 2016

Hey gang,

just updated to beta 10.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jln2b4w8kp1iw35/FabricForUnreal-4.12.5-Windows-beta10.zip?dl=0

Changes in this version:

• Upgraded to Fabric 2.4.0
    • OpenNurbs: New merge option "merge by material per layer"
    • OpenNurbs: When objects with varying materials are merged you can now assign materials to the different sub-elements.
    • OpenNurbs: We no longer use Material Instances when assigning materials - see the comment below
    • OpenNurbs && Alembic: Meshes are saved as assets now

We've disabled the creation of the material instances in OpenNurbs - it led to instabilities as well as slowed the rendering down. Now this means however that material colors as well as textures can no longer be assigned. We have a ticket open for fixing this, but it's quite involved because it requires us to create materials from scratch. If you need the material colors or textures to be assigned right away - please roll back to beta 9.

One of the most requested features has been implemented in beta 10: Storing meshes as assets on disc. Prior to beta 10 meshes were stored within the map, which caused massive maps and also made it really hard to share assets between them. With beta 10 meshes are now stored in a sub folder of the project, based on the file extension. For example 3dm/meshes/myFile/asset.uasset

Let us know how things go!

Best,

Helge

• Kevin TureskiKevin Tureski Posts: 126 ✭✭

Allow me to clarify. Fabric 2.4.0 is in very early development; it is not "officially released". At the moment, it is very stable, consisting of some additional bug fixes and UI/UX improvements over the very recently released 2.3.0. Plus a change that Helge needed to make in Fabric Engine in order to facilitate what he has added in this Beta 10.

You can get "a daily build of what will eventually become 2.4.0" here:

http://dist.fabric-engine.com/FabricEngine/chagall/

Hey gang,

quick update to beta 11.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j04xr2ol7vufsc7/FabricForUnreal-4.12.5-Windows-beta11.zip?dl=0

Changes:

• OpenNurbs + Alembic: Materials are now created as proper graphs with parameters. This should re-enable the use of materials again after breaking it in beta 10.

Best,

Helge

edited August 2016

Hey gang,

updated to beta 12.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucus8s7yk14ch6n/FabricForUnreal-4.12.5-Windows-beta12.zip?dl=0

Changes:

• Support for variations. Please see video.

pass: FabUnreal

Best,

Helge

edited September 2016

Hey gang,

just updated to beta 13.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsx02852v4rxjb2/FabricForUnreal-4.13.0-Windows-beta13.zip?dl=0

Changes:

• Moved to Unreal Engine 4.13.0
    • Fixed several alembic loader bugs

Best,

Helge

Hey gang,

just updated to beta 14.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ntxky28ya6v7dp8/FabricForUnreal-4.13.1-beta14.exe?dl=0

Changes:

• Upgraded to Unreal Engine 4.13.1
    • New standalone installer for simple installation
    • New licensing dialogs for in-plugin licensing
    • Actors are no longer depending on Fabric
    • New delegation mechanism: Editor has all features live - while game can still work without Fabric
    • New unified user interface
    • New caching workflow for deformations, procedural geometry and instanced meshes
    • Support for packaging of any content
    • Removed the Kraken Integration (moved to separate plugin)
    • Lots of bug fixes and improvements

I've also created a new video showing the new stuff. Please see the first post of this thread.

Best!

Helge

Hey gang,

just updated to beta 15.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/epqyv184ic21o1q/FabricForUnreal-4.13.2-beta15.exe?dl=0

Changes:

• Fixed time stamp lock (now ends Nov 30th)
    • Upgraded to Unreal Engine 4.13.2

Best!

Helge

Hey gang,

just updated to beta 16.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yf7mrssbtgtbgt2/FabricForUnreal-4.14.0-beta16.exe?dl=0

Changes:

• Moved evaluation time limit to January 15th 2017
    • Upgraded to Unreal Engine 4.14

Best!

Helge

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

Hey gang,

just updated to beta 17

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k47hs53jic1gx69/FabricForUnreal-4.14.3-beta17.exe?dl=0

Changes:

Moved evaluation time limit to March 1 2017

Upgraded to Unreal Engine 4.14.3

Regards

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

This discussion has been closed.