Bugs

MunkybuttMunkybutt Fabric for Houdini, Fabric for MotionBuilder Posts: 18

Hello,

I have come across a few bugs (Using 3DsMax 2016):

1. Saving a scene, closing and opening Max, re-opening the scene stops any existing graph from evaluating until Fabric is forced to reload (normally by creating a new Fabric object in the scene)

2. Interacting with input nodes seems to sporadically cause a crash. Not 100% reproducible but anecdotally, 90% of my crashes happen when I try to interact with an input node (rename, move, add, delete)

3. Scene lags for a good 5+ seconds when opening the file menu to load or save a file.

Comments

• EricTEricT Administrator, Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 304 admin

Hey @Munkybutt I believe you should be reporting bugs via the support@fabricengine.com address.

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

Hi @Munkybutt

@Munkybutt said:
    Hello,

I have come across a few bugs (Using 3DsMax 2016):

1. Saving a scene, closing and opening Max, re-opening the scene stops any existing graph from evaluating until Fabric is forced to reload (normally by creating a new Fabric object in the scene)

Do you have any particular scene where this happen?. Launching 3ds Max 2016 and opening any sample scene here works without having to create any new Fabric object

1. Interacting with input nodes seems to sporadically cause a crash. Not 100% reproducible but anecdotally, 90% of my crashes happen when I try to interact with an input node (rename, move, add, delete)

When you say input nodes and rename, move, add, delete you mean the Fabric graph or the 3ds Max node itself?

1. Scene lags for a good 5+ seconds when opening the file menu to load or save a file.

I also had this issue but thought it was a problem of mine. After looking more into this I have found it is not related to Fabric plugin at all (if you disable it, the lag persists). The problem seems to be the OpenGL driver that we set because we need it for our inline drawing, so it is a bit out of our hands. Going back to Nitrous (Direct3D 11) will solve this problem. You can safely run Nitrous with Fabric as long as you don't need the inline drawing capabilities of Fabric. Btw, I always found that file menu very ugly, you can put the old one by following the instructions on this page https://davewortley.wordpress.com/2013/05/31/putting-the-old-file-menu-back-in-max/

Cheers!

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

• MunkybuttMunkybutt Fabric for Houdini, Fabric for MotionBuilder Posts: 18

Hey @Munkybutt I believe you should be reporting bugs via the support@fabricengine.com address.

Thanks @EricT, that is good to know, but I would imagine vetting the bugs with other users is useful though.

Hey @borja,

Do you have any particular scene where this happen?. Launching 3ds Max 2016 and opening any sample scene here works without having to create any new Fabric object

I can attach a sample max file where this happens, or should I do as suggested above and send an email to support@fabricengine.com?

When you say input nodes and rename, move, add, delete you mean the Fabric graph or the 3ds Max node itself?

I meant the input nodes of the Fabric graph.

I also had this issue but thought it was a problem of mine. After looking more into this I have found it is not related to Fabric plugin at all (if you disable it, the lag persists). The problem seems to be the OpenGL driver that we set because we need it for our inline drawing, so it is a bit out of our hands. Going back to Nitrous (Direct3D 11) will solve this problem. You can safely run Nitrous with Fabric as long as you don't need the inline drawing capabilities of Fabric. Btw, I always found that file menu very ugly, you can put the old one by following the instructions on this page https://davewortley.wordpress.com/2013/05/31/putting-the-old-file-menu-back-in-max/

Fantastic, I had this thought last night and was going to try it first thing this morning. As I am interested in hierarchical solvers only and not particularly bothered about tools that operate on a vert level, this is ideal for now. I guess that nothing can really be done about the performance until Autodesk updates their OpenGl version?

Thanks for the replies!

• Paul DoylePaul Doyle Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 229 admin

Please file bugs to bugs@fabricengine.com so we can track them properly. It creates a lot of manual work for us to find bugs here and put them into zendesk manually and there's no guarantee that we'll see everything posted here. Feel free to discuss them here too!

CEO at Fabric Software
    Twitter