strange behaviour Fe4Max

Hello and Sorry to disturb any of U.
No programmer here.
But I am trying to do basic modifier and I have problem there. Main mesh is deformed with other meshes and always when I pick any of spheres in scene it stops working. I can take spheres as first col1 mat1 input but no other. When I pick sphere as col3 and mat3 input it stops working. What am I doing wrong? Did I broke it?(max 2016 file attached)
Is there any way to create PolygonMeshArray or PolygonMesh[] input node in max? and access it in max?

Comments

• stefangurastefangura Posts: 20

Also I would like to ask how to access vertexColor data in max.

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

Hi @stefangura

We have tested it and found it is quite unstable. We have created the internal ticket FABMAX-44 to investigate what is going on with your setup.

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

Array attributes are working but only available within Maxscript.

You would work with them like this

$.DFGAddPort "v" 0 "Vec3Array" portToConnect:"" extDep:"" metaData:"" execPath:""
    $.v = #( (Point3 0 1 2), (Point3 .5 1.2 9))
    $.v

We are working to add support for Max's built in array editor in the command panel that should be available in our next beta build.

Borja Morales
    Fabric Software Inc.

1.thanks
    2.I know that I can do it for Vec3Array and connect nodes for mat44Array. But there is no PolygonMeshArray or PolygonMesh[] data type.

I just found that there is no way to pass vertex color data to Canvas in XSI. does this also apply for integration in max?

Yes, Fabric for 3ds Max has the same limitation. I have filed internal ticket FABMAX-45 since, certainly, it would be a very nice feature to have!

Borja Morales
    Fabric Software Inc.

Hello,
    Sorry again, But I would like to let U know about some other problems.
    If first port is boolean, then it is impossible to click on it(there is just name of port in modifier parameters, no checkbutton.) it is so only if it is first port.Second is ok. And it is possible to access it in maxscript but no to click on it.
    Assigning fabric modifiers to anything else then primitives and mesh is really unstable. Assigning mod to Shape or even to EditablePoly will crush max really good. Some scenes can not be opened after save. But maybe I am doing something stupid.
    Else than that it is pretty sweet. i really enjoy working with it. thanks.

Thanks for the feedback @stefangura
    I have filed FABMAX-46 to look at the issue with the booleans.
    We will also investigate the stability on fabric modifier on anything other than simple mesh (do you have an example?).

Borja Morales
    Fabric Software Inc.

Sorry for my late answer, I had some work to do.
    About stability on anything other then mesh and primitives: just add fabric modifier to any editpoly and it will crush.(it always does).

But one thing is for me even worse and that is corruption of save files. a lot of times I was working with fabric engine I could not reopen saved files. It could be becouse it was saved in a middle of work and some custom nodes were not ended. or not written properly. Or I was doing something stupid. Yes but it was working and it let me save file like it was OK.
    Bare in mind that I am not a programmer so doing something stupid is kind a my thing :).

Hi @stefangura

I confirmed Editable Poly has this issue with Fabric Modifier. It doesn't happen with Fabric WSModifier, nor an editable mesh. I have filed FABMAX-48 to fix this issue.

We will take some investigation into the saving corruption issues!

Borja Morales
    Fabric Software Inc.