A couple of simple starter 'tutorials' in Softimage

PoobyPooby Posts: 122

This is after an hour of using Canvas so its very basic

constraining a null between 3 others

raycasting a null onto a mesh

I'm primarily trying to help the visual programming development, in my own small way, through providing feedback on Canvas.

Comments

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Hey, Paul,

great stuff - and even more great stuff on your channel there! I am so jealous ... :-)
    Thanks a ton for putting your progress up there, I am looking forward to everything you share!

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

• HelgeHelge Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 314 Fabric Employee

Wow - this is great Paul! Thanks for these!

Research Engineer @ Fabric Software

• PoobyPooby Posts: 122

no problem.. I enjoy doing them

I'm primarily trying to help the visual programming development, in my own small way, through providing feedback on Canvas.

• Roy NieterauRoy Nieterau Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

@Pooby great to see some "beginners tutorials" coming from the community. This could be an eye opener for many that are afraid of taking on Canvas. ;)

Keep it up!

• JM Kin TelaJM Kin Tela Posts: 89

Amazing, Paul Smith tutorials on Canvas... B) B) thanks!

• KimboKimbo Posts: 4

Thank you Paul! I learned ICE through your videos! Great to see you doing these for canvas! :)

• Pierre SchillerPierre Schiller Posts: 16

Thank you for sharing. Looking good. Any other new videos comming up? :)

• PoobyPooby Posts: 122
    edited May 2016

Hi. I do plan to do more but a job has started, keeping me very busy, so its hard to find time to do them.

Also, the visual programming side needs a few more additions in order to do deformations ( my primary area of interest) effectively.

When dealing with points on a mesh, this is an array and at the moment, each point cant hold its own array, such as finding each point's neighbour, as this would be a 2d array, and can't be dealt with without resorting to KL code.

I kept hitting that wall repeatedly when experimenting.

Whilst many people on here have pointed out to me that learning KL is important in order to progress in Fabric, personally I'd prefer to hold off on doing tutorials on deformation until this kind of thing can be done in Canvas easily. I don't want to frighten newcomers off by having to tell them that you have to learn to code to get stuff done.
    Things like that can make the difference between 'This is not for artists like me' and 'Oh this actually looks quite straightforward. I might give it a shot'. And its harder to win over people later when they have already decided the former, as they might not even watch the subsequent videos.

For me, I will learn KL when I have time, but I think its important for introductory Fabric tutorials to hook dabblers and newcomers by making them feel like using it is within their grasp. If I'm struggling, then many watching will feel like there is little hope for them.

• Pierre SchillerPierre Schiller Posts: 16

Thanks Pooby. Always an inspiration to look up to (y)