Tubular skinning

Hey everyone...

It's my first time showing anything in canvas - which is awesome by the way!

I've been trying to implement a skinning deformer using curves instead of traditional linear blend skinning. My background is rigging and animation and I'm constantly frustrated by how hard we have to work just to get an elbow or a finger to bend nicely!

Anyway, here's the first demo:
https://vimeo.com/156043934

Comments

• EricTEricT Administrator, Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 305 admin

Great stuff @duncanrudd!

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

• AhmidouAhmidou Posts: 179 ✭✭

Indeed cool stuff!
    PS: The original idea is not from Raf Anzovin, but Sony Picture Imageworks, it's called Offset Curve Deformation.
    There's also an improved version done by Dreamworks.

Cheers

• Roy NieterauRoy Nieterau Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Very nice! Good research!

• anhungxadieuanhungxadieu Posts: 108

well done, i also saw it before it's has been implemented in softimage ice with some custom c++ node by "Edy Susanto Lim", and he also do a fabice splice version. Hope to see more information about this tech in here very interesting.
    thank for sharing this
    es_OCD Demo 03
    es_OCD Demo 05 - Splice

Thụy Nguyễn
    CG Artist

Nice resources. This could actually be of use to me for an upcoming project.

Is this going to be shared?

• duncanruddduncanrudd Posts: 22

Hi guys, thanks for the encouragement!

@Ahmidou - Thanks for the info. Knowing what it's called should make researching a bit easier!
    @anhungxadieu - Great links. The second one really helps me figure out the next stages that I need to tackle.
    @Roy Nieterau - I'm guessing you mean Edy Susanto Lim's setup? Mine is far from production ready!

I'll try and post some updates in this thread soon.

Cheers

I was basically referring to the development of a system like this. If it's further along it's always easer of course. ;) Just wondering whether this in total could be a community thing.

The biggest thing first is to get the resources in order (for me at least) to have a look at how it actually works mathematically. With that I'd happy to contribute open-source.

Unfortunately I've been low on free time lately... but this is definitely on my board of interesting things. Hope to shift it into the "requirements" for upcoming gigs so I can force some time into this.

• duncanruddduncanrudd Posts: 22

Hi Roy.

Cool - I'd be more than happy to share what I have so far and collaborate on a community project along these lines.

Having looked into it a bit more, it seems like the tech is covered by one or more patents which might explain why this sort of solver hasn't shown up anywhere in a DCC yet.

My motivation for this is initially for a short animated film I'm making - which should be a good place to test stuff in a pseudo production pipeline.

If there's enough interest, I'll collate my notes and the sample graphs I have so far as a starting point.

Cheers

Dunc

• anhungxadieuanhungxadieu Posts: 108
    edited February 2016

@duncanrudd said:
    Hi Roy.

Cool - I'd be more than happy to share what I have so far and collaborate on a community project along these lines.

Having looked into it a bit more, it seems like the tech is covered by one or more patents which might explain why this sort of solver hasn't shown up anywhere in a DCC yet.

My motivation for this is initially for a short animated film I'm making - which should be a good place to test stuff in a pseudo production pipeline.

If there's enough interest, I'll collate my notes and the sample graphs I have so far as a starting point.

Cheers

Dunc

Look interesting! although i'm not a TD but i'm interested in this project also, maybe i don't well understand code but i can understand graph :)

Thụy Nguyễn
    CG Artist

• stefangurastefangura Posts: 20

sorry if am jumping so late into this threat, but I would like to know more about any progress. I am trying on OCD myself but I have troubles with self intersections of parallel splines (to tell truth I do not now how to advance). so I would like to hear any news.

• GabrielRoyGabrielRoy Posts: 42

Hi @duncanrudd,
    I'd also be very interested on seeing your advances on this development. It seemed very promising.