New Attribute presets

Paul DoylePaul Doyle Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 229 admin

Fabric Engine 2.1 ships with a series of new Canvas presets that focus on geometry attributes.

Geometry attributes are a critical part of most geometry pipelines and are used to handle distribution of instances, deformations, UV mapping and more. Controlling geometry attributes in an efficient and simple way can improve your workflow and significantly improve productivity.

The new presets provide functionality for:

• Getting and setting attribute values
  • Conversion between attribute types
  • Debug drawing facilities
  • Presets for basic math and vector math
  • Geometry math presets
  • Closest point and raycast presets
  • Transfer attributes between geometries

All of these new presets can be deployed through the new DFGBinding (graphs flowing through graphs) as well as via python when building command-line utilities. This can be extremely helpful when automating geometry pipelines for operations such as transfering vertex colors or UVs.

CEO at Fabric Software
Twitter

Comments

• PoobyPooby Posts: 122
    edited February 2016

Superb and exciting enhancements. I'm glad I held off on doing deformation tutorials as this will make it a lot easier.

I'm primarily trying to help the visual programming development, in my own small way, through providing feedback on Canvas.

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2016

Quote from the video: "Let us know what you think".
    I am trying to. Right now I cannot think. I am drooling (again)

But let me say this: GEIL - I can use the value editor again, finally. No more Germans-out because of "comma replaces period. Period."

Looking into Geometry Attributes over the next couple of days ...

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

• mjcgmjcg Posts: 41

This looks awesome! I can't wait to play with the new Geometry Attributes presets to make some deformers !

Maxime Jeanmougin

In all likelihood, I'm looking in the wrong place, but how do I know what attributes exist on an object? In ICE for example, there are certain attributes that just exist by default, such as pointposition, pointnormal, vertexID, pointreferenceframe etc then you can add more.
    With ICE, there is a dropdown menu so you can peruse through all the existing attributes to find what you need, but in Canvas, it appears that there is no list, so you have to know what you want, and type it in.
    It took me a while for example, to discover that 'positions' is the equivalent of 'pointposition' in ICE. Is there a way of visualising them and if not are the defaults listed anywhere?
    I haven't worked out how to set attributes yet, but only just started this morning. Enjoying the new stuff though.

I'm primarily trying to help the visual programming development, in my own small way, through providing feedback on Canvas.

• Paul DoylePaul Doyle Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 229 admin

Hi Paul - can you post this as a separate topic please? It won't be easy for people to find it otherwise as this is an annoucement post.

Thanks,

Paul

CEO at Fabric Software
    Twitter

sure