what does "....ds.IO.Alembic.StoreMesh': missing JSON entity" mean? (maya'16&fabric2.1)

flokraftflokraft Posts: 13

Hi together,
after my last stupid post I feel like I shouldn't use this forum for a while.
...but now that my reputation is in question anyways ..I just have to ask.

I installed the latest build today ..and stumbled over this strage error message while trying
to use some of the new alembic presets. Some of them won't work at all. I'm unclear
where the error comes from - bad installation - stupidity - bug ...!?

when I try to use the "storeMesh" preset for example I'll get this:

// Error: line 1: FabricCanvasInstPreset: addInstFromPreset(presetPath): loading preset '..Presets.DFG.Fabric.Compounds.IO.Alembic.StoreMesh': 'connections': 'AddPolyMesh_1.pa\0\0\0\0\a\0\0\0': src 'AddPolyMesh_1.parentPath': no pin named 'parentPath' //

the second attempt shows me:

// Error: line 1: FabricCanvasInstPreset: addInstFromPreset(presetPath): loading preset '..Presets.DFG.Fabric.Compounds.IO.Alembic.StoreMesh': missing JSON entity //

..did anybody see this too?
..any ideas on that?
...I admit I'm too lazy to build the node-network by myself and unfortunately I
don't have any references to look at.
If this is a bug ..I'll be fine with myself I guess.. (out of my control :)
..and I'll just sit it out.

..every help is highly appreciated
..thanx

*f****

Tagged:

Comments

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am sure that it is quite hard to be more stupid than me, so ... please ... ask, comment, take part in the community! Most of us are bloody Greenhorns around here, I guess. If I guessed wrong, that's just to proof my point.

Anyway: Could you post a test canvas? Have you "required" (included) the needed presets (not on a Fabric computer here right now - something like "AlembicIO")?

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

• mootzoidmootzoid Fabric Employee Posts: 185 Fabric Employee

Hi Flo,

The error "..missing JSON entity.." indicates that the preset file might be corrupt, so you might be right: perhaps your installation is corrupt?
    Have you tried loading one of the samples, for example "Alembic/14_alembic_store_mesh.canvas"?
    Does it also output errors?

Cheers,
    Eric

• flokraftflokraft Posts: 13

good morning (evening ..or wherever you might be)
    first of all ..thanks for your quick response!!

..I'm back on my desk now and can check things better.
    First thing I tried was to load the sample file mentioned by Eric. It gives me the same error message. :-(
    I downloaded the latest build to check if I got everything right. ...still the same.

@malbrecht
    I think a test canvas wouldn't make a difference, cause the presets I was gonna use just won't appear on the canvas.
    Starting with a clean node by only trying to use one of the Alembic presets (some work some don't) will give
    me the same error ..regardless what else is already on the canvas.

I hope you/we can figure it out (I'm the one that has to test everything here ..before it gets into the
    decision-making round to be used or not)

thanx in advance (hopefully) :-)

*f

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

Hi @flokraft

I assume you are launching canvas within the given prompt.bat, right? (Prompt.bat setups all the required environment variables for Preset and extension loading).
    Would you mind to post the content of the command prompt when launching canvas, after you drag the StoreMesh preset and get this error?. Outside the alembic samples folder, are other samples working fine in your machine?.

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

@borja
    Hi borja.
    It seems it was something about the environment variables.
    After fiddling around for some hours I finally cleaned up everything
    ...deleted old env-variables and fabric versions ..reinstalled fabric and set the new modulepath for maya.

the promt doesn't give me any error messages. canvas starts as usual and everything works fine.
    The demoscene within maya now loads ..except ..I get a new error message.

// Error: [Splice] Unhandled DataType 'AlembicArchiveWriter' //

while loading the plugin I get some warnigs like this:

# Warning: pymel.internal.apicache : lineage for node xgmNurbsPatch is cyclical: [u'containerBase', u'entity', u'dagNode', u'shape', u'geometryShape', u'deformableShape', u'controlPoint', u'surfaceShape', u'THsurfaceShape', u'xgmPatch', u'containerBase', u'entity', u'dagNode', u'shape', u'geometryShape', u'deformableShape', u'controlPoint', u'surfaceShape', u'THsurfaceShape', u'xgmNurbsPatch'] #

which doesn't seem to be realted to the actual error message but might be an indicator for whats still wrong with
    my installation.

The whole path thing was a good tip ..at least I am a step further.
    What can I do about this "splice" thingy now? Any ideas?

thanx
    *f

• Roy NieterauRoy Nieterau Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    # Warning: pymel.internal.apicache : lineage for node xgmNurbsPatch is cyclical: [u'containerBase', u'entity', u'dagNode', u'shape', u'geometryShape', u'deformableShape', u'controlPoint', u'surfaceShape', u'THsurfaceShape', u'xgmPatch', u'containerBase', u'entity', u'dagNode', u'shape', u'geometryShape', u'deformableShape', u'controlPoint', u'surfaceShape', u'THsurfaceShape', u'xgmNurbsPatch'] #

This is just a message of pymel loading in Maya so can be ignored.

and set the new modulepath for maya.

How are you doing this?

Are you setting system-wide global environment variables? Are you using maya.env? Or a wrapper .bat script?

Hi
    I use a system-wide global environment variable "MAYA_MODULE_PATH".
    should I set a putenv command in the user-setup instead ..or too!?

ok ..today I tried it on two different machines
    same thing! I get the canvas standalone to run perfectly. But within Maya ..I get the same
    error message when I load the alembic example file 14:
    // Error: [Splice] Unhandled DataType 'AlembicArchiveWriter' //
    can you tell me something about this? what might it be ..or where can I look at to fix this?

cheers
    *f

@borja
    hello ..it's me again. I know ..you've probably a lot to do ..taking the risk to get on your nerves..
    I was just wondering if you could tell me if it is more likely that I got a problem with my
    computers (maybe the configuration or my installation) or if it might be a bug that is off limits
    for me to solve. I'm almost about to give up trying things ..I simply run out of ideas.
    If I could get a hint from you where to look or what to do ..I would really appreciate it!
    *f

Hi @flokraft

Setting up MAYA_MODULE_PATH should be fine for Fabric for Maya and the .mod file already does the setup of all the environment variables for you. You can set this MAYA_MODULE_PATH globally (like you state) or via the maya.env file (see the following link for more info on maya.env files in http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/maya2014/en_us/index.html?url=files/Environment_Variables_Setting_environment_variables_using_Maya.env.htm,topicNumber=d30e149076). Make sure you don't have something in the maya.env file that could conflict with Fabric for Maya. Make also sure you don't have an environment variable called MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH that points to fabric. Would you mind to print what is the content of the MAYA_MODULE_PATH?.
    When you go to the plugin manager FabricMaya.mll appears?. When it loads can you create canvas nodes from a new scene. If you can, an open the canvas editor, can you create presets from other extensions (for instance a GetSphere node)?.

Borja Morales
    Fabric Software Inc.

Hi borja,
    The global module path would be
    MAYA_MODULE_PATH C:\Users\maya\Documents\maya\2016\FabricEngine-2.1.0-Windows-x86_64\DCCIntegrations\FabricMaya2016

The location will change as soon as I have to install it on other machines.

and yes ..the plugIn appears and is loadable. I can create everything so far. the getSphere node will work too.
    I also tried to extend the mod file to get the extesions in the "Tests" folder ..with no success for the particular
    problem (the error message while loading the demo).
    The demo in standalone canvas will write out an alembic file ..the maya canvas shows me the error message and won't export anything.
    The rebuild demo file ..shows no error message but won't export anythin either.

@borja
    Ok ...I got it working!
    I rebuild the scene as I described before... I won't get the error message when I create all the nodes.
    It was just not evaluating anything until I created another attribute on the canvas node and connected it to a maya node that gets evaluated.
    But still... the demo file was driving me nuts because of this error message ..I thought it didn't work because of this error message.
    which obvously had nothing to do with the logic of the file. I will just ignore it from now on.

This was very confusing for me ..
    It could help others like me to know a little more about the mechanics of the maya node compared to the standalone
    ..I was really helpless by relying on the fact that they both should behave the same way. (and all the warnings and error messages
    ment nothing at the end)

thank you all for your time ..I hope I'll get along alone from now on.
    besides all the hassle ..I really like your tool ..and I hope I can establish it in our production soon!

thanx a lot
    *f

• Roy NieterauRoy Nieterau Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016

But still... the demo file was driving me nuts because of this error message ..I thought it didn't work because of this error message.

Are you referring to that Pymel warning?

I think if you have other code actually importing Pymel before canvas then it wouldn't actually be spewing out those warnings there but a lot earlier. Anyway, good to hear you were able to get it working in the end.

It was just not evaluating anything until I created another attribute on the canvas node and connected it to a maya node that gets evaluated.

This is mentioned in the docs, but it seems many newcomers miss it all the time. What would've been a good spot for you to have seen this information? Might be worth to investigate ways to make this easier to spot. :)

@Roy Nieterau

Hi Roy,
    I actually was talking about this splice error-message "// Error: [Splice] Unhandled DataType 'AlembicArchiveWriter' //"
    Still don't know where it comes from ..after and while building the scenes by myself it doesn't
    show.
    About the evaluation thing. I think the easiest way to spread this info would be a small note
    within the Readme file (It's such a basic info) in the root directory of fabric. This is something really everyone reads, cause you need to install fabric somehow if you want to use it.
    As soon as you get started you'd look into the docs for a specific problem I guess. Reading
    everything from the start is probably the right way ...but most people feel sort of an excitement
    by first trying around without any guideance.
    The actual hint for me was the missing "time" or "frame" input on the graph I was trying to load.
    I had a look at some demofiles before. It was always there or had to be connectd to start
    working.
    Just now I was browsing through demo-files again ..to find some information about the structure
    of a polyMeshArray ..and found the push command ..which I will use in a loop now.
    In general I'd think the demo files are the best source of knowledge for me ..you not just see the actual use of
    node ..you'll get good ideas what else to use them for.

I did some stuff with Splice two years ago (this was straight forward for me - I knew just had to find the right
    commands ..now it's nodes) and I enjoyed it a lot.
    but even if i get stuck here and there ..its still fun to play with

Hi @flokraft

We have the internal ticket FE-6231 to investigate these Error: [Splice] Unhandled DataType messages.

About the need of having to connect the canvasNode to a Maya node so it gets evaluated, we have created internal ticket FE-6276 to improve the doc.

Borja Morales
    Fabric Software Inc.