Beta Feedback: Please share your experiences

Paul DoylePaul Doyle Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 229 admin
edited May 2016 in Fabric for MODO

Hi all - the only reason the beta is closed is so we can make sure that things are stable without being overwhelmed by people using it. With that in mind, if you want to talk about or share video of your experiences with Fabric publicly, feel free to do so.

We'd love to hear more about what you're doing and what you think so far - we can't improve things we don't know about!

Thanks,

Paul

CEO at Fabric Software
Twitter

Comments

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Hi, Paul,

good call!

I am busy with "my" Fabric particle thingy (which I hoped to get more community-ish, but what isn't can still grow). so this time is lost for modo-Fabric. I would prefer doing the particle-experiments in modo-Fabric, but Attribute-Helpers are missing. So I am a bit delayed there ... as the particle thing is great fun (as I am learning A LOT while doing it). Still ...

That said, there are two projects (experiments or whats) coming up that I'm going to retry modo for. Fabric can do it, I know, I just have to go through the pains of enduring sleep pointers in modo ... yes, I am too frustrated with modo these days so that I prefer firing up canvas instead (for experiments). Both projects involve animation ... so I am a bit desperate at the moment, looking for the best workaround with the pipeline issues I have in modo. I do have some ideas, so I should be back on testing soon.

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

Hi all!

We have recently increased our Fabric for MODO betatesting user base.
    As Paul mentioned, part of being in a closed beta is to give some constructive feedback to improve the product, either with general comments or by reporting bugs/suggestions.

I encourage you to share them with us in the forum.

If you have found problems using the software (installation, steep learning curve, stability...) please let us know as well so we can improve on those aspects.

Regards!

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

• OlivierDOlivierD Posts: 13

Hi,
    I've spent a few hours with Fabric, to understand how it works with Modo. I have succeded in doing some interesting basic scenes. I was very interested in how Fabric could help with dynamic scenes. In Modo, I mainly test dynamics. But, you know, I'm an artist, and it is very difficult for an artist to understand or discover how to make a simple dynamic scene just a simple soft body or rigid body simulation in Fabric.

I'm sure fabric is very powerful, but sometimes, as we say in france, I'm feeling like a chicken that finds a knife ;-)

May you post some basic scenes made for Modo, and better, one or two simple dynamic scenes.

I'll do my best to test further.

Thank you.

Moin, Olivier,

I guess you could encourage people to help you with your experiments if you asked for help - like you just did now. :wink: Sometimes communication can take you a long way.

Will do my best to create a "getting started with bullet physics in Fabric", it may take a bit, though, since I have some other experiments looming in the back of my mind. But we'll get there.
    That is - if you want my help.

Marc

Hi @OlivierD
    We are actively working to improve our Bullet integration in a future release (including presets and samples). I am sure you will like it!

Borja Morales
    Fabric Software Inc.

• OlivierDOlivierD Posts: 13

Thank you, Borja, I'm pretty sure I will like it.
    Modo is my main software, I work everyday with it, and I have nearly all the plug-ins for Modo.
    So I'm very interested in Fabric, but I have an artistic background, I'm not engineer at all, so it may be difficult sometimes for me find what is the good way to have the good result with Fabric. I have been impressed by some of the videos you showed.

Marc, thank you for your help . I have watched nearly all your videos and your tutorials, they are very helpful. I think I need time to read a part of documentation, try the different samples in the forum, and test some scenes. Fabric is an entire new world to experiment.
    I am an active Modo beta-tester too, I'm trying to help users in the public forum of Modo (in french forum and in the Foundry forum) so my nights are not long enough to test all the things I want ;-)

Thank you again for the offer of the help. I have done video tutorials (some for Video2Brain, and some, free, for the french modo forum) and I know it takes time. Maybe just some basic scenes will be the better starting point for me.

Started a thread for bullet physic experiments here: http://forums.fabricengine.com/discussion/387/bullet-usage-in-fabric-modo

• Aaron KentAaron Kent Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited March 2016

I have been sniffing around the sample scenes at work in the canvas standalone. While I am not a technically oriented person I was able to leverage ICE to good effect. Getting comfortable with some of the subtle differences between the apps has been the strongest first impression I have. I think this is largely due to being in canvas vs Modo right now and playing around with procedural geometry versus in app meshes with data-sets I could query. I have a lot of questions that I believe are obvious so I am trying to read through as much of the documentation as possible before I ask. At the end of the day I think I'm a great example of "even this knucklehead can make it do something valuable" The more people you can get to not be afraid of the technical side of things the better. That said - I would love to see some of the sample scenes done in tutorial form with a brief explanation of each node / step. My two cents for now.

I'd also add that I feel really excited about Canvas / Fabric Engine. When ICE came out I went from being utterly daunted by coding and TD type stuff to actually learning some very simple mathematical concepts that aided me in motion graphics tasks. When Soft was EOL'd I just gave up on it. I feel real confidence in Fabric Engine and The Foundry as companies that value developing this stuff and making it worth learning. Excited to be on my slow learning path!!

Cheers

AK

Thanks for your feedback @Aaron Kent

We take note of the need of adding more tutorials!

Borja Morales
    Fabric Software Inc.

• Aaron KentAaron Kent Posts: 66 ✭✭

@borja - I remember when ICE first came out Digital Tutors did an ICE reference library that basically just presented each node with a quick example that usually wasn't over a minute long. There was and is plenty of great ICE training out there but the node library was IMHO by far the best collection of simple vids for getting a sure footing (besides Pauls tutorials!).

Cheers

AK

• thedudethedude Posts: 2

I'm not a programmer but confident in my ability to learn, and just waiting to get started. When can we expect an OS X version of Fabric for Modo?

• Kevin TureskiKevin Tureski Posts: 126 ✭✭

@thedude Sorry, I missed this. "Coming Soon" ... real soon :-)

This discussion has been closed.