Install / Fabric crashing Modo

Aaron KentAaron Kent Posts: 66 ✭✭

It appears I have set my environment variable correctly and successfully edited my config file. I can see via Modo's Kit Help that the Fabric Kit Version is: 0.700. However, if I try to open the sample scene Modo just hangs and if I try going to the schematic window and adding a CanvasMI channel modifier it immediately crashed modo 901 or 902. I can successfully run the canvas standalone program outside of Modo.

Comments

• mootzoidmootzoid Fabric Employee Posts: 185 Fabric Employee

Hi Aaron,

Try to open a sample scene again and then wait for, say, 1-2 minutes.
    On first execution Fabric compiles all its extensions and that can take a bit.

If you still get the hang/crash, could you send a screenshot of your env. variables and config file?

Thanks,
    Eric

• Aaron KentAaron Kent Posts: 66 ✭✭

Thanks Eric - will do so this evening and report back.

also tried setting the environment variable to:

G:\FABRIC_ENGINE\DCCIntegrations\FabricModo901

but still I get the program hanging when I try to open a sample scene or crashing when I try to creat a canvasMI node in schematic.

AK

edited March 2016

I can create a canvas PI node in the item list and bring that into the schematic - however when I open the canvas graph (or try to import a sample graph into that blank canvas graph I get no response from Modo)

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Moin,

just out of curiosity ... have you tried using only backslashes or only slashes in the path? Currently your integration path uses both slash ("/") and backslash ("\") - and Fabric can, like Python, get nasty when there's a mixture. I tend to only use "/" and avoid backslash all together.

Not saying it's the solution, but probably worth a try.

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

• Aslak Kjølås-SæverudAslak Kjølås-Sæverud Posts: 19
    edited March 2016

Hi there,
    If you go to the scripting tab and look at the event log(console?) after adding the canvas PI there should be som errors there (I had the same problem, modo could not find the DFG path or something), for me the problem was the backslashes and after that was switched to slashes it was up and running.

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

Hi @Aaron Kent

I put a small .bat file to help identify what is going on here.
    Extract the zip file to the fabric for modo root folder (G:\FABRIC_ENGINE in your case). The .bat file assumes MODO 901 SP3 is installed. If you have a different version, please edit the .bat file with notepad and change the last line to the appropriate path (START "Fabric for Modo" "C:\Program Files\Luxology\modo\901_SP3\modo.exe").

Then, double click the bat file. It will set up the env. variables and launch MODO.

Let us know if you still have the crash following this procedure.

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

Thanks for the help guys - still crashing. I edited the fabric_modo_beta.bat file to open 902_SP2 - I ran the .bat file and as expected it launched 902. I am still able to create a canvasPI node (see attached EventLog) - but I get the same response if I try to open a sample file (it hangs indefinitely) or if try to create a canvas MI node in schematic - it immediately crashes. I have to head into work - but I will try possibly reinstalling Modo tonight and giving it another go.

Cheers

AK

edited March 2016

Hi, Aaron,

I had the empty canvas viewport when one of my ENV variables was set wrongly AND when I had back- and fore-slash mixed in paths. So if those are correct, I wonder if you have some other plugin/KIT installed in your modo folder that might be interfering?
    You might want to test moving all other KITs out of the way, check if modo then works - and then one by one moving the KITs back in.

Marc

Thanks Marc. I have several Modo Kits installed - I will try this process of elimination this evening. I have tried unifying the the slashes still to no effect but I'll keep trying permutations.

Cheers

AK

This is very strange @Aaron Kent

To discard any problems with your system... if you run the prompt.bat from the Fabric root installation and run canvas with a sample, everything works fine, right?.

Borja Morales
    Fabric Software Inc.

edited March 2016

@borja

sorry - got a little busy this weekend but I will confirm your question when I get in this evening.

Canvas fires up without a problem but I didn't load a sample scene in the standalone.

AK

I checked this am and the canvas standalone will open all the sample scenes without any problems. Sorry - it's been hectic workwise the last week but I am hoping to get Fabric working in Modo soon! I'm going to install 901 sp3 tonight and see if that fixes it.

Cheers

AK

Success - installed 901 SP 3 then deleted the 901 and 902 config files - added the Fabric Import back into the configs and it's working.

AK

Great to hear that you got it working!

I wonder if it wasn't something in the config, however, since I am using 902-no-SP ... Nevertheless: Welcome to Fabric-modo-wonderland ;-)

Marc

Glad you got to install it :)

Borja Morales
    Fabric Software Inc.