Testing out Kraken

Heya!

So I'm trying out Kraken to see how user friendly and production ready it is. But have having some issues when trying to work with it so here are some questions :smile:

1. Is there a nice way to remove drawn stuff from the viewport? I know i can toggle the renderer off but then I cant see any new stuff that I want to draw.

2. I dont know if this matters in any way but Im more curious in how it works. The solver port is connected in the KL operator but its not exposed in Maya and nothings seems to be connected to it. What is this connection and how does it work?

3. When reloading component modules I dont think the KL Solvers are reloaded. And in my experience they dont seem get reloaded until you restart Maya. What is the recommended way to update or work with the KL solvers?

4. Im not exactly sure how this happens, but I think that if I try to build a rig with a solver with an error in it the whole Kraken extension will be disbabled and doesnt reload until I restart my computer. How can I re-enable a disabled extension?

Cheers

Comments

• EricTEricT Administrator, Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 305 admin

@Kimbo,

1. Yes you can turn off the debug setting on each component. They should be Off by default actually. On the IK controls there should be attributes for "drawDebug" and just set them to be off and they should be removed from the drawing but still allow you to draw other things as needed.

2. KL based Solvers are exposed in Canvas by an IO port being set as the Solver object. It has to be IO so data can be set and pulled from the solver. In Maya there is no way to expose this port as anything usable so the Canvas node won't add it. You can dive into the Canvas node to see that it is simply just a function node with the Solver port and other args plugged in.

3. KL solvers will require users to save / reload the scene or just create a new scene to pick up the updates. I think there is a request / feature that may already be in a ticket to be able to easily reload KL extensions (though it's tricky when you have inheritance of objects). @borja is this logged?

4. For that error you shouldn't need to restart your entire system for this. :\ You should be able to simply fix the error and same as #3 save and reload a scene or create a new scene for the changes to be picked up.

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

• KimboKimbo Posts: 4

Thanks for the reply!

I shouldve been more specific in my first question. My problem was that when I turned the debugDraw on and then deleted the rig the debugDrawn joints will still stick around in the scene. Is there a way to clear those away when they no longer have the debugDraw attribute connected somehow? Maybe some sort of fabric.drawingHandle.flush function somewhere?

So reloading the scene every time you make solver changes doesnt seem like a very feasible way to work. How would you recommend working? I tried copying the solver code and putting it in a KL node. But canvas wont let me declare new types in DFG nodes. So how do I efficiently develop a solver?

On the other hand, I really like the Kraken interface and setting up rig components is pretty straight forward. Your video tutorials are super helpful!

Cheers

Sorry the deletion of the rig with InlineDrawing visible is a known issue and no way to clear it without restarting the DCC.

Developing KL solvers is a bit cumbersome and my suggestion is to use the Kraken stand alone while developing the solvers. The stand alone can be launched outside of a DCC and is pretty fast at starting up. This way if you run into errors you'll see them logged and can restart the standalone a lot quicker to iterate. This is something I will be looking into on how we can reload KL exts safely within the Kraken framework.

Another thing to ask, are you using the latest code from the develop2.X branch from Github repo or the latest release that is posted on the Kraken page?

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

• KimboKimbo Posts: 4

Okay, I'll try that out! Thanks.

I am using the github branch. Got it a couple of days ago :)

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

KL solvers will require users to save / reload the scene or just create a new scene to pick up the updates. I think there is a request / feature that may already be in a ticket to be able to easily reload KL extensions (though it's tricky when you have inheritance of objects). @borja is this logged?

@EricT , reloading extensions should work properly in Fabric 2.1.0
    See this code:

https://github.com/fabric-engine/FabricUI/blob/pablo/DFG/DFGController.cpp#L922-L950

Within a canvas node, you can just right click and select reload extension(s)

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

@borja Thanks I'll give it a spin. Didn't know that was already implemented. :)

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework