"Painting with meshes": Tutorial 02 is in the works

malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in Fabric for MODO

I hope I find the time over the weekend or so to get it done.
The tool works, however :-)

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

Comments

• Kevin TureskiKevin Tureski Posts: 126 ✭✭

I'm standing by, Marc, as you requested :-)

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016

Thanks, Master Tureski ...

rewriting my former rant ... I have now spent about 14 hours, including some breaks, on recording a tutorial that should have taken me 1-2 hours to do (plus voice over). The reason is that modo - NOT Fabric/the plugin - is just a pain in the back, stability wise. Crashes, lock ups and more crashes. Out of the more than 20 crashes I had today, ONLY doing this single tutorial, I was able to record nearly a dozen. I have talked to some really professional modo users today who confirmed that it is NOT the Fabric plugin (they don't use Fabric), but modo itself that is unreliable, as soon as you leave the well lit paths of modelling and rendering (without doing too much in the shader tree).

(Sidenote
    Still, some of the time it took me is due to me being unable to "think like an artist" - I just cannot. I am no artist. Doing this tutorial with code-only (KL) would have sped things up by a factor of 4 at least, the "visual approach to programming" however feels like learning to tame an Orc by feeding it Hobbits. Be a good Orc and you get a leg. Be a bad Orc and I have to eat the leg myself.
    The good side is: 14 hours of redoing chapters over and over again (thanks to the crashes) taught me A LOT about noodle-graphs. I think I even understand how variables in a canvas graph work. Now. Might even do a tutorial on variables. In canvas, not in modo - doing it ONCE should suffice, doing it 20 times is unhealthy for the Hobbit.
    /)

Again, I apologize for the rant. I do think, however, that here, in the closed beta forum, it must be possible to speak ones mind: modo is NOT ready as a hosting platform for a powerful tool like Fabric, a tool that lets and even encourages you to experiment, try things that may break or work.

Marc

P.S. I am OK with removing this statement if anybody reading this feels offended. It's been a Sunday for me, too, after all.

All videos safely recorded. About 90 minutes material, don't know how long the final video will be - probably more than half an hour.
    Voice-over therefor will take me roughly about 3-4 hours. So, tomorrow evening should be upload time ...

• Kevin TureskiKevin Tureski Posts: 126 ✭✭

@malbrecht You are welcome to share your opinions, but forum etiquette and common sense suggests that you keep the comments constructive in nature. After all, for the pairing of Fabric and MODO to work well, from time to time we need help from the MODO team. We have benefited from their help and suggestions on several occasions. I'd hate for that to be compromised because of perceived bashing here.

Kevin, if you think that what I wrote above is "bashing", I will remove the comment. That is fine with me.

I thought that outside the public it might be OK to speak one's mind. There currently isn't much positive I can say about experimenting with modo, so I will try to refrain from making any comments about it in the future.

Marc

• Paul DoylePaul Doyle Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 229 admin

Hi Marc - we're fine with 'this doesn't work' or 'this feels unstable' type comments. As Kevin said, it's more about keeping them constructive in nature - nobody has a problem with honest feedback. We're committed to supporting MODO as a platform for Fabric, so if you're running into problems that can be consistently repro'd then both companies are interested in knowing about them!

Looking forwards to the new video :)

Cheers,

Paul

CEO at Fabric Software
    Twitter

• OlivierDOlivierD Posts: 13

As I have said in another thread, I work everyday with Modo. I have produced thousands of images with it. Obviously, it is not perfect, but it is a great tool, and for my work, 902 is stable and productive. I don't know what were your problems. If I can help, it will be with pleasure. As a beta-tester of Modo, I can submit bug reports easily, or directly ask some requests to dev team.

Thank you, Olivier - I really appreciate your offer to help. We are obviously using different "modos" or we are using the same tool in totally different ways, as 90x is not "stable" for me (or for the modo users I deal with daily, some of which are beta testers, others are not. Actually, the money I have made with modo over the last 2 years was from solving other people's problems by developing workarounds or redoing stuff from scratch).

Paul, of course I will continue to send reports (bugs, questions, suggestions) to FabricEngine, my experience with the Fabric team has been exceptionally great: Professional and productive and warm hearted, it is an honor and pleasure to be here.
    Do slap me on the fingers if I don't behave in the mails I send.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience I may have stirred. I'll restrain myself to technical comments around here henceforth.

Marc

Since this thread derailed a bit, here's the "official" publication: http://forums.fabricengine.com/discussion/399/using-fabric-in-modo