Maya: InlineDrawing + Viewport 2.0 = no depth sort ?

Hey guys,

I just realised that using Canvas InlineDrawing together with Maya's Viewport 2.0 does not seem to respect depth sorting in the viewport (see attached screenshot).

Is this a known issue? Or am I just missing something here? (me still being the Maya noob that I am... :smiley: )

What you are seeing in the screenshot is the Fabric samples scene "inlinedrawing_simple.ma" loaded in Maya 2016 (SP5) plus a default polygon sphere - with the left panel using 'Viewport 2.0' and the right panel using the 'Legacy Default Viewport'.

Cheers, -M

Comments

• EricTEricT Administrator, Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 305 admin

We're aware of the issue. The problem is caused by viewport 2.0 that clears the OpenGL depth buffer before InlineDrawing drawing is called. Work has started on the solution to the problem but will require some re-design before it makes it into a release.

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

• All right, thanks Eric.

• marthinusmarthinus Posts: 1

Hi Eric,
    Just checking but is inlineDrawing suppose to display at all with the new Fabric Engine viewport 2.0?

• EricTEricT Administrator, Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 305 admin

Yes it should. Is this not the case? Do you have a repro?

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

• Roy NieterauRoy Nieterau Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Yes it should. Is this not the case? Do you have a repro?

Not working for me either in Viewport 2.0.
    Tested in Maya 2016 Ext 1 + SP5 with FabricEngine-chagall-Windows-x86_64-20160909-030105
    Reproduced it with a simple GetCube -> DrawPolygonMesh; see attached.

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

Hi @marthinus and @Roy Nieterau

Inline drawing doesn't work with Viewport 2.0 any longer, but it **works **on our own specialized viewport 2.0 which is called Fabric Viewport 2.0. Roy, your sample works just fine if you select as a renderer Fabric Viewport 2.0.
    Let us know if you still can't make it work!.

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

• Roy NieterauRoy Nieterau Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016

Roy, your sample works just fine if you select as a renderer Fabric Viewport 2.0.

Ah yes, that actually works. Totally missed the fact that there was a special viewport renderer for Fabric in that list. With Fabric Viewport 2.0 it works! I'm also having no problems with depth drawing in default viewport AND Fabric Viewport 2.0 as was the original topic of this discussion, so I believe that's fixed as well.

I don't want to hijack this thread to much, but since it seems somewhat of a "depth sorting issue" I wanted to briefly ask. Is it possible to have the Maya manipulators draw in front of the Fabric Engine geometry? Currently things like the move tool also appear behind the Fabric Engine inline drawing which sometimes make it harder to manage the scene.

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

@Roy Nieterau I am afraid this is not currently possible

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.