need help for setting enviroment and variables

hi there,
first i need to say i am an absolute beginner working with the terminal.
thats why i need a little hand for setting up the enviroment
for the fabric engine to work in modo.
i work on a win 10 system and the standalone fabric engine works fine.
also the modo kit is installed proberly, because i can see it in modo (version 0.900)
but i do not realy now how to set the enviroment right.
so maybe someone can help me setting things up or point me to a tutorial to try it by myself.

thanks everyone.

Comments

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Moin, Toxic,

you don't need to use a terminal. Actually, according to release docs you should not really need to set up environment variables at all, as Borja said:

The Fabric environment variables are now automatically set if not present. (Source: http://forums.fabricengine.com/discussion/271/fabric-for-modo-beta-april-25-2016 )

But ... since you may want to have your own presets and extensions, I think it is a good idea to use ENV VARs anyway.

These steps should work:

• open a directory on the desktop
    • right click on "This PC", choose "Settings" (or Properties, I am on a German system here, it's the bottom most entry in the RMB menu)
    • click on "advanced settings" (left column, lowest entry in the upper list)
    • a window pops up, click on "Environment Variables" (right side of window, about vertically centered)
    • add a variable named FABRIC_DIR
    • in the "value" field, paste the copied complete path to where you unzipped the installation to. The directory you need to specify here is the one inside which all the magic is placed. On my system this value says D:\dev\Fabric\FabricEngine-2.2.0-dev-beta2.1-Windows-x86_64
    • this should be sufficient (don't forget to "OK" it), but you may want to add:
    • create a variable named FABRIC_DFG_PATH and "point it to" (value field) the presets/DFG directory inside your installation (on my system that is D:\dev\Fabric\FabricEngine-2.2.0-dev-beta2.1-Windows-x86_64\Presets\DFG) and, if necessary, add more paths to other preset installations (if you downloaded such, for example)
    • create a variable named FABRIC_EXTS_PATH and have it point to the "Exts" directory, and, again, eventually additional extension install directories (on my system this value looks like this, note the ";" to separate entries: D:\dev\Fabric\FabricEngine-2.2.0-dev-beta2.1-Windows-x86_64\Exts;D:\dev\Fabric\my-Exts)

Your paths will look different, obviously. But this should have you covered the environment stuff. You MAY want to approach it a BIT differently, though. If you always want to have a new version of Fabric/modo installed into the same directory, you may want to use some path like "modofabric" instead of the release-name "FabricEngine-2.2.0-dev-beta2.1" or whatever. For example, I am using a directory named "DAILY" into which I simply copy over nightly builds (sic!).

Then quit modo (if it is running), open your "modo10.cfg" (or whatever it is named, I don't do modo10) and at the very top, after the line
    content:Kits
    insert a line
    D:\dev\Fabric\FabricEngine-2.2.0-dev-beta2.1-Windows-x86_64\DCCIntegrations

Note that, obviously, the PATH is NOT what I am pasting here - but the path that you set for your environment variable "FABRIC_DIR".

modo10.cfg should be in your C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\Luxology directory.

I hope this helps!

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

• toxic_monkeytoxic_monkey Posts: 4

hi marc,
    thank you for your help. i tried that before and it worked.
    i also will try the other approach for daily builds.

thanks a lot
    cheers
    hannes