question: using one canvas vs multiple canvasses

Hi,
I was wondering if it matters, speed wise, if I spread my Fabric logic over multiple canvasses instead of trying to put all in one.

For example, when building a character rig I could build an arm-canvas and a separate torso-canvas, and combine them in modo. Or I could build one big character canvas. As I need to connect all control-locators to the canvas(ses) the separate approach one seems more manageable, but I can imagine that that could result in less speed.

Thanks,
Thomas

Comments

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Moin, Thomas,

not pretending that I know the definite answer (so have your salt ready), since that will probably depend on the actual scene, my assumption is:
    Every back and forth between modo and Fabric will introduce overhead. Overhead means slow down. Since modo mainly is single-core-execution only, you are forcing that overhead on a single core.
    This would mean that having as small as possible interaction between the systems should give you a better overall performance.

The second thought builds on this: Since Fabric allows you to use GPU and/or multi-core execution, you need to have the data in Fabric, not in modo. And dealing with PEX, although being very simple on the outside, requires some logic (like data sanity checks any syncronization), I assume that it is more likely in a single graph to get the best performance, as long as your graph is aiming for performance in the first place.

In theory, if modo was "multi-tasking" (i.e. if it could spread schematics-execution over several tasks), distributing a rig over several canvas instances might give you an advantage. But, as of now, there is no way of using modo in this "modern" way of computing ("parallel processing"), very unfortunately so.

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

• ThomasDruckerThomasDrucker Posts: 16

Thanks Marc,

Good to have that confirmed by someone who knows what he's doing :)

Now I already dread the dozens (hundreds?!) of controls I'll have to hook up to one canvas. Are there any simple examples out there that show you how to make controls in Canvas itself? Or is that something that's not completely developed yet?

Thomas

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

someone who knows what he's doing

... can I get that printed in A0 and hang it over my bed? :wink:

Are there any simple examples out there that show you how to make controls in Canvas itself?

I am looking into "scripting canvas" myself now, as this (http://docs.fabric-engine.com/FabricEngine/2.2.0/HTML/DCCIntegrations/Modo/canvasscripting.html ) looks quite promising. The only problem seems to be that you cannot get control back to the initiating script. Or maybe you can ... that's exactly what I am trying to figure out :smile:

The "back and forth" of script control between modo and Fabric is still a bit unclear to me. I will have to take a couple of hours off to dig into that.

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

• ThomasDruckerThomasDrucker Posts: 16

Wow, I hadn't noticed there's a canvas in modo documentation!

I think I'll postpone my plans for complex rigging till things have sorted out a little bit more. There's a lot to discover doing just little experiments (fabric doodles).

Thanks for your quick responses!

Thomas