Renderman and Canvas (again)

I had a few questions about the upcoming Renderman/Canvas interface. I've watched the videos, but being a novice in the high-end world I still have a few questions.

First, is Renderman connection still going to be made available, or is available in Canvas? A post from last year suggested that it was still in the works at that time, and would be available soon.

Second, I don't know a lot about Katana. I don't have access to it and my University doesn't have a Renderman pipeline. So I am flying solo in this. Will Canvas serve a similar role as Katana for lighting and lookdev?

I appreciate your time. Please accept my apologies if my ignorance is popping through :)

Comments

• Paul DoylePaul Doyle Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 229 admin

Hi there - the Renderman work is on hold until we ship SceneHub as part of Fabric later this year. It's taking a little longer than hoped, but we are steadily getting there. There's no firm eta right now, but it's very much a part of our 2016 roadmap.

Katana is a complete scene assembly/lighting application, Fabric is a framework for building applications. So potentially you could build something similar to Katana if you had the resources and inclination - but our customers are generally looking at building much more narrowly scoped applications with Fabric. In fact, some of them have integrated Fabric into Katana!

Cheers,

Paul

CEO at Fabric Software
    Twitter