Fabric for Unreal is in beta (OpenNurbs and Alembic support)

Paul DoylePaul Doyle Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 229 admin
edited November 2016 in News, Blogs and Articles

Blog post: http://fabricengine.com/fabric-for-unreal/

If you’d like to help us with testing, please follow these steps:

1) sign up to our forums at http://forums.fabricengine.com
2) email beta@fabricengine.com (or PM me) with the following:
– your forum username
– what kind of work that you do (your role/industry/company)
– you should be comfortable with scripting in order to pick up Fabric.
– how much time you can spend testing Fabric for Unreal per week
– what sort of problems are you hoping Fabric can help you with

CEO at Fabric Software
Twitter

Comments

• k3nnywoodk3nnywood Posts: 4

Any plans to support Unity in the future ?

• Daniele NieroDaniele Niero Posts: 233 ✭✭
    edited May 2016

@k3nnywood let them first finish with Unreal! :)

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, but Unity doesn't have any node graph system.
    I may be wrong about this but not having a node graph suggest me that integrating Fabric with Unity can be somehow complicated, for sure completely different than all the other integrations.

• Paul DoylePaul Doyle Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 229 admin

We believe we can build the same pipeline into Unity, but we have no plans to do that just yet. We are already maintaining a lot of integrations and we want to explore the value of the workflow first before adding another engine.

CEO at Fabric Software
    Twitter

• Daniele NieroDaniele Niero Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi,

The two videos show integration with file/geometry formats not normally available in Unreal.
    This is all very nice and makes "easy" to do something quite complicated to achieve with unreal itself.

There is another particularly difficult thing I have found in Unreal, and it's the creation of what they call "Skeletal Controls". A skeletal control is a node in the animation graph that procedurally controls one or more bones. An example is a real time IK to put feet correctly on an uneven terrain, or the rolls joints along the limbs or again, a bone that respond to a physic constraint and used to skin a bouncing prop on your character, like a pouch or tool tight to the belt.

The process to do these skeletal controls in Unreal isn't the most straight forward but it works and pretty much anything is possible.
    The real problem is that those controls can be seen and tested only once in the engine, there is no way to test them and have them in Maya, or another DCC, during rigging and animation.

These is something that Fabric seems perfect for. If instead of building a skeletal control with Unreal a user could build it with Fabric, this will be available in any DCC supported. That will make a huge difference for an animation pipeline for games (unreal now, maybe unity later)

Have you guys ever thought about this? If yes, have you done some tests?

Cheers,
    Daniele

• HelgeHelge Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 314 Fabric Employee

Hey Daniele,

indeed we have. That is precisely what we are building and will be demoing at Siggraph. It's essentially a way of integrating a kraken rig including all of its control into Unreal using a Skeletal Control node for the character animation system.

Stay tuned :smile:

Research Engineer @ Fabric Software

I'd be very interested in advanced instancing of objects in a game engine to block out very detailed scenes with basic building blocks. I think fabric would be perfect for this and could massively reduce the creation time for some types of environments

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

@k3nnywood
    I am currently planning a series of in-depth tutorials starting from zero and aiming for hero. Although my focus will be on creating VFX, I would be more than happy to do something game-related as well.

Would you be interested in priming me with some ideas/needs?

Please start a new thread for that or contact me directly. Although I will concentrate on Fabric in Canvas, I will use DCCs and/or game engines to show-case what it's about - so to remain on-topic in this thread, I'll most likely use Unreal for Fabric-game-things.

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

Yes sure Ive got some ideas.
    Where do you want me to start the thread ?

• mdubai2007mdubai2007 Posts: 6

Hi,

I saw all the demo for ue4 in non textured materials models . is fabric engine export from rhino not supporting uvw and texture.

I use Grasshopper in rhino for a time , i feel the node graph and the concept is very near to Canvas but I think Fabric Engine is taking benefits of GPU and kl high end programming power . is it right.

thanks

• HelgeHelge Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 314 Fabric Employee

Hey mdubai2007,

the latest Fabric for Unreal will support UVs and textures correctly coming from 3dm.

Canvas probably outperforms Grasshopper for certain scenarios, but it always depends on the task at hand. What are you trying to achieve?

Research Engineer @ Fabric Software

• seltzdesignseltzdesign Posts: 80

@mdubai2007 - regarding Fabric vs. Grasshopper. I just started using Fabric after using Grasshopper a lot. They are quite different (apart from the visual programming using "wires"). Grasshopper is much easier and has a lot more nodes that are pre-made for very specific high-level tasks that need some time to calculate and produce one static result in most cases. Fabric is a lot more close to how you would write code. The way it handles data structures is very different and a lot more advanced. You will need to know how arrays work, for loops and all those things. Things dont magically work with any data structure like they do in Grasshopper and displaying the data at every input and output of a node is nowhere near as easy - you need to output it to a log window. So in that regard Grasshopper is miles and miles ahead in terms of usability.

BUT, if you are looking for anything with animation or real-time, then Fabric is the right choice. In fact, there is no right choice, just 2 different tools with different strength. You wont be able to take something you made in Grasshopper and recreate it in Fabric and vice versa. Both are amazing and extremely powerful in their own way.