Canvas not showing on modo

Hi,

I'm having some issues installing fabric for modo. After installed (and modo is restarted), when I add a CanvasPI item, opening canvas will display an empty custom view. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Moin,

this looks like the plugin hasn't initialized correctly. You can have a look at modo's system log (advanced) to see if the startup script that Fabric provides is executed - if yes, at least the pathes are correct. With some luck you have an error message there as well ... have a look at the environment variables.
    Also check if Fabric itself (using the standalone Canvas) works, just to be sure that the download is complete.
    Try moving your config to a backup, create a blank modo config by starting modo and quitting it again, then add the include line for Fabric manually.
    If that does not work either, there may be another KIT that is interferring with Fabric, try moving all other KITs/scripts out of the way (just to be sure).

I hope any of this is of help.

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

• Jacobo BarreiroJacobo Barreiro Posts: 5

Thanks Marc! It was a conflict with an old environment variable (Creation Platform) that I had setup. Based on modo's log, it was trying to find something in there. Removed it, and it's all good now.

• jonmoorejonmoore Posts: 2

I'm having a similar problem myself. I had to reinstall FE and after the reinstall it works perfectly in standalone CANVAS mode and in both Softimage and Maya but Modo just loads the same blank Canvas viewport as above. I've deleted my configs removed the Fabric Kit config and every time I attempt to reload Fabric in Modo via setup_script.py I get a message saying all is fine reboot Modo (when I should get a second prompt to run setup_script.py again).

I've checked my Environment variables both a local Fabric level via environment.bat and globally via the Windows system menu.

I have a suspicion that the provided extensions aren't being built (seeing as I don't get the second prompt to run setup_script.py again.

Any help in this will be great, it's got me stumped.

Hi, Jon,

my personal guess, if the FE installation as such is OK (meaning it includes a full modo plugin - just to be safe), still goes towards ENV vars.
    One thing you can try/check is if the include path in the modo config is correct, i.e. points towards the correct path where the modo plugin sits. If you are on Windows, try using forward slashes instead of backward slashes (I don't think that makes a difference, but I did have issues with that once during beta).
    You could try starting modo from the prompt batch, so that the environment variables are set correctly (since Canvas works), meaning: Start prompt.bat, CD to your modo directory and start modo. Maybe that helps ...?

Marc

• jonmoorejonmoore Posts: 2

Hi Mark,

Bizarrely as soon as I ran FE in in the Modo 10.1 beta, things worked as they should in 10.0.

Slightly puzzled as to why but I can only guess that something in my config file re-initialised FE and now all is good. :)

Thanks for the tips, I think your guess on the Config file was probably correct.

Hi, Yon,

Hi Mark,

:-D (sorry, couldn't resist)

... good to hear it's working now. If you see a chance of figuring out what went wrong, I am sure that others could benefit from that. But with modo's config chaos, it's very likely that it was just a "fracture in the fabric of time and space ... and modo" ...

Marc