Bob Fix

So loading up Fabric Engine (2.2.0) and Kraken (I tried out all three versions) I noted I was having some issue with 1.2-2.0 (it would crash out Maya when attempting to build the rig). I moved on to 2.0, however I noted that none of the examples were working. I was able to fix the Bob Rig. I will look for a way to host the file somewhere on my own site darksuit dot com in the morning. There were a number of fixes but I was able to get it all running. Hopefully within the next 24 hours I should have it posted somewhere.

Comments

• EricTEricT Administrator, Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 305 admin

Hey Darksuit,

I'm in the process of updating the example materials and also providing more pre-built samples too. I've run into similar build issues because the component definitions have changed / been updated. The official release of 1.2 will be coming "shortly".

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

• DarksuitDarksuit Posts: 13

Eric, that's awesome. I only started going down this route as an evaluation for a company. Kraken 1.1.0-2.0 was able to build a guide but not a Rig, so I wound up going with the latest Dev build you have for Kraken. That seems to be pretty stable so far. I am liking that. I do have a couple questions about building custom controllers for Kraken, I am parsing through everything at the moment and it's a lot to take in. I am super impressed with the job that both you and the fabric people have done.

I did notice that if you attach the drawDebug methods in Kraken (Dev) it will no longer render the connections for your Rig setup. However looking under the hood at the Connections[] I can see all of the connections are still there. If you like I can email fixed Rig if you want

@Darksuit

I vaguely remember that the default bob guide did have some issues after release but I believe I fixed them in the develop branch a while back but there has been some heavy edits / updates since then so that's probably why you're running into some issues.

I just pushed some fixes to the bob rig classes and updated the bob_rig.krg file in the develop branch. If you pull the changes you should have a working rig. Also note that there are now some menu items for building a biped guide and rig. :smile:

After you pull, if you still have issues regarding the drawDebug ports could you send me repro steps?

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

absolutely.
    For reference my Current Repo steps are as follows:
    1. Create two Components (Leg and Foot).
    2. Create all attachment Connections Minus the drawDebug.
    3. Save the KRG file.
    4. Clear the Editor.
    5. Reload the KRG file. This is to test to make sure that all connections are still showing correctly.
    6. Attach debugDraw connections from Leg to Foot.
    7. Save File.
    8. Clear Editor and Reopen KRG file.
    9. Note the missing connections.

Checking the File in Notepad++ I was able to see all of the connections. I will step through this same Repo in a moment with the update Dev.

i just pulled down what I assume is the latest (Dev) Build. The BiPed build Guide and Rig both work, However if you attempt to pull in the Bob_Rig.krg file to the Kraken Editor, I see nothing. I will attempt again once I am home and try it on another system for Verification. And following the above steps I still lose all the visible connections expect the single drawDebug connection. Again I will test again and I will screen shot for visibility.
    Thanks again for working so hard on this.

edited June 2016

here is the zip for the Bob_Rig.krg that I have working
    if the zip file doesn't work... here is the KRG file

Eric I just tried on a second PC and I am encountering all of the same errors. I am still losing the visualization on the Graph after following the repo steps above.

OK I'll have a look tomorrow morning and try to reproduce. Thanks for your time testing and debugging.

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

Not a problem, I think what you are doing is pretty spiff so I want to make sure that things work correctly. It all helps. I have not had a chance yet tonight to diff your bob_rig from mine. I am working on just taking all of Fabric and Kraken in at the moment there is a lot of doc to go over. Specifically I am looking at seeing how to do custom shapes for controllers, and to do a few other custom Arm and Leg Rigs.

@Darksuit

I've repro'd the bug you found and will fix it today. Thanks!

For custom control shapes, you will need to add them to a custom config that sub-classes off of the default config (or add to the default config and open a pull request on github to contribute it back). There are a few utils in the kraken plugins for both maya and softimage that allow you to create the controls in whichever of the 2 DCCs you want and it will print out the correctly formatted description to add to the config.

Check out the file:
    /%KRAKEN_PATH%/Python/kraken/plugins/maya_plugin/utils/curves.py

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

awesome thanks Eric! I still going through the videos you put together for the deep dive into the controllers. I suspect the issues with your current bob_rig are in the connections, it looks like there were some naming changes to the connections in several of the controllers. I will say you guys at Fabric have been doing a lot of really nice work, it's a lot to take in. =)

@Darksuit

Thanks! It's a lot of work and glad you are appreciating it! The data in the bob_rig.krg needed to be updated since the component definitions changed (as you said, the port names changed so connections weren't valid any more). On top of that there was an unseen bug that has been present for a while where a component with an input and output port named the same, wouldn't properly get shown in the UI. The data was correct but the UI didn't find the port correctly. It was just finding the first port named "drawDebug" and it happened to be an inputPort instead of an outputPort object so thus it wouldn't load.

I've fixed this and pushed to the develop branch if you want to pull it to get the latest fix. Thanks for helping track this down.

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

@EricT
    Not a problem at all. I will grab that later tonight, I just finished going through all the Vimeo tutorials for writing my own components. A lot of really good documentation.

edited June 2016

@EricT Looks like the updated Bob is working great and the drawDebug is also working correctly now. =)
    however I am getting the following error when building the Guide
    Building Guide
    // kraken : Building Guide
    Error Building
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\KrakenDev\Python\kraken\ui\GraphView\kgraph_view_widget.py", line 259, in buildGuideRig
    self._guideBuilder = plugins.getBuilder()
    File "C:\KrakenDev\Python\kraken\plugins__init__.py", line 26, in getBuilder
    loaded_mod = import("kraken.plugins." + eachPlugin + ".builder", fromlist=['builder'])
    File "C:\KrakenDev\Python\kraken\plugins\maya_plugin\builder.py", line 17, in
    from kraken.core.builder import Builder
    File "C:\KrakenDev\Python\kraken\core\builder.py", line 18, in
    from kraken.core.traverser import Traverser
    ImportError: cannot import name Traverser//

Strange. You may have some old .pyc files in the Kraken/Python dir. Close Maya and all Kraken instances and delete the .pyc files in the Kraken directory. I moved the traverser module and it looks like it's not finding it for some reason. I don't get that error on my end.

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

looks like that was the issue. Old .pyc files that were being left behind when I was replacing files. I just removed the whole directory and replaced it with the new one and that solved the issue. Thanks.

Yes that's what you should do each time you grab a new release. Glad its working now

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework