PyQtForSoftimage

HiraziBHiraziB Posts: 9
edited June 2016 in Fabric for Softimage

As I was hoping to try Kraken, I am running into extreme difficulties with its prerequisite "PyQtForSoftimage". Neither the Softimage Mailing List nor the si-community has been able to provide me with answers, so I hope you don't mind me reposting it here, in case someone here can provide me a solution...
The whole drama unfolds in this thread on the Mailing List: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/xsi_list/t78PRNc6ztQ

The bizarre thing is, that every time I restart Softimage or reinstall the plugin Softimage throws me a different set of error messages...

Comments

• EricTEricT Administrator, Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 305 admin

Hi Hirazi,

You say you are using PySide 2.2.1. Did you mean 1.2.2 instead?

Also where did you install PySide? If you're using internal Python, then you need to install it to the Softimage Python's site-packages directory as stated in the PyQtForSoftimage github page:
    https://github.com/caron/PyQtForSoftimage#installation

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

• HiraziBHiraziB Posts: 9
    edited June 2016

Thanks for your reply... I just edited my long post. I am getting a different set of errors almost every time I restart Softimage or reinstall the plugin. I meant PySide 1.2.1 and I did install it in the site-packages of the "internal" Python...

Can you disconnect all workgroups and restart Softimage.

Run this:
    from PySide import QtCore

Any errors? If not run this and post the results:

from PySide import QtCore

LogMessage(QtCore)

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

edited June 2016

Returns: module 'PySide.QtCore' from 'C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Softimage 2015 R2-SP2\Application\python\Lib\site-packages\PySide\QtCore.pyd'

Sorry I meant:

import PySide

LogMessage(PySide)

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

edited June 2016

Sorry edit:
    module 'PySide' from 'C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Softimage 2015 R2-SP2\Application\python\Lib\site-packages\PySide__init__.pyc

OK good.

Now load the PyQtForSoftimage workgroup only and see if it works.

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

Nope... qtevents.py throws the following error:

ERROR : Traceback (most recent call last):

File "", line 281, in XSILoadPlugin

from sisignals import EVENT_MAPPING

File "E:\Exordium\workgroups\Hirazi Workgroup\Addons\PyQtForSoftimage\Application\Plugins\sisignals.py", line 42, in

class SISignals(QObject):

File "E:\Exordium\workgroups\Hirazi Workgroup\Addons\PyQtForSoftimage\Application\Plugins\sisignals.py", line 50, in SISignals

siActivate = Signal(bool) # siOnActivate

TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable

- [line 280 in E:\Exordium\workgroups\Hirazi Workgroup\Addons\PyQtForSoftimage\Application\Plugins\qtevents.py]

and the examples throw:
    "COM Error: Out of present range. (0x-7ffdfff6) (...) # ERROR : OLE error 0x80020101" errors

OK with that workgroup loaded run this again:

import PySide

LogMessage(PySide)

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

module 'PySide' from 'C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Softimage 2015 R2-SP2\Application\python\Lib\site-packages\PySide__init__.pyc'

Hmm yeah very weird. Only other thing I would try is to run the "runonce.bat" in the Softimage dir and see if that fixes it.

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

edited June 2016

After runonce.bat qtevents.py loaded correctly and the Examples still throw "Out of present range" errors...
    After a restart, however, I am back to the following:
    Application.ExampleDialog() and Application.ExampleSignalSlot() do create a window on screen, but Softimage kills
    it before I can see what it is. Application.ExampleMenu() still works.
    But now Application.ExampleUIFile()
    throws the following error:

(...)

self.ui = loadUi(uifilepath, self )

TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable

- [line 121 in E:\Exordium\workgroups\Hirazi\Workgroup\Addons\PyQtForSoftimage\Application\Plugins\pyqt_example.py]

ERROR : OLE error 0x80020101

What could cause this weird behavior where every new restart and/or reinstall of the plugin triggers a completely different set of errors?

Hmm I'm really not sure. As others have mentioned on the Softimage threads I would try to uninstall PyQtForSoftimage, PySide, PyWin, and system Python if you have them.

Run the runonce.bat and start Softimage to make sure internal Python works OK.

Then I would install Python 2.7.x and PyWin32 and uncheck "Use internal Python" in Softimage and restart.
    Make sure that external Python is working inside Softimage.

Install PySide 1.2.2 to the system Python. The installer should automatically install there.

From an IDLE (Python shell) I would test importing PySide and ensure that works.
    If it does then open Softimage and see if it can import properly there too.

If it does, then install PyQtForSoftimage addon in the user folder. Also ensure you download the one from here:
    http://www.steven-caron.com/downloads/tools/PyQtForSoftimage_beta6.xsiaddon

After that, if it still doesn't work I don't know what the problem could be.

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

• scaronscaron Fabric for Houdini Posts: 171