WIP: maDeformer - The Stitcher (qa)

malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Moin,

with the new additions to looping-for, I could finally shift my little "stitcher" (or call it "procedural geometry creation tool box foundation example", if you prefer snappy, short and handy names) over to pure pasta code (noodal development).

Text speak: This deformer works without a single line of KL, all created with simple original Fabric/Canvas presets "out of the box".

I still plan to do that huge tutorial on "I have an idea. Now how do I create a KIT/tool out of it?" with this as the result. There is no higher mathematics involved, right now the most complicated math thing is a single cross product of two vectors to calculate a normal - but it works just as fine with adding point normals and averaging them.

What the tool does is this: You pipe in a reference mesh and a target mesh. The reference mesh gets rescaled/deformed and cloned onto each single quad-polygon on the target mesh (I plan to take care of tris in a future version of course).
So you could put pimples on a character mesh ... or quickly create a cloth that can be simulated at very low polygon count:

... and then add the actual chainmail reference mesh for beauty shots:

Since the underlying simple cloth mesh will provide sufficient collision data, there is no need to calculate the simulation on the high density mesh:

Of course you can use this tool - or it as a foundation for more complex tools - to create all kinds of landscapes, interiors, spaghetti fillings or whatever complex salad your heart contents.

And I will not mention even ONCE that the same can be achieved by a dozen (or a few) of lines of KL code and that creating it in node-graph-approach has cost me roughly about 10 years of my life. I won't even HINT at that. I will be absolutely positively freaked out about what you can do with artist-friendly nodes!

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

Comments

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

Nice work :). You are a KL man after all! ;)

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

• Roy NieterauRoy Nieterau Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Sweet stuff. Can I grab this somewhere to play around with it?

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

@Roy Nieterau

Sure - I can send you the "research" graph right away, but I would like to implement a very specific bug fix that just came out with today's build in order to replace a single node in there ... so if you can wait until tomorrow?
    Note that the research graph is my attempt to approach a problem solution without using KL, so it is (and has to be) chaotic :) Plan is to create the tutorial along this "trial and error" thing to show how an idea for a specific result can be turned into an actually working toolkit, thanks to the ease-of-use of Fabric, stability of Fabric, availablity of documentation for Fabric and ... Fabric support.

Now I need to clean out that oozy stuff on my monitor ...

Marc

• Roy NieterauRoy Nieterau Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Sure - I can send you the "research" graph right away, but I would like to implement a very specific bug fix that just came out with today's build in order to replace a single node in there ... so if you can wait until tomorrow?

Sure. Take your time. I'm flooded at work anyway :D

Note that the research graph is my attempt to approach a problem solution without using KL, so it is (and has to be) chaotic :) Plan is to create the tutorial along this "trial and error" thing to show how an idea for a specific result can be turned into an actually working toolkit, thanks to the ease-of-use of Fabric, stability of Fabric, availablity of documentation for Fabric and ... Fabric support.

It's good to see you're taking on this challenge since you came from a different mindset. And good progress as well. I hope to get my fingers on Blocks as soon as possible. Just need a bit more time on my hands.

Thanks again!

Just sent you a message through the forum system :)

edited August 2016

I am postponing work on this deformer (sadly so, as I think I solved the remaining problem I was struggling with over the last week).

My original idea for this deformer goes back to a KIT/tutorial idea I discussed here. Because my deformer currently does not work 100% yet (especially on tight curves), I used a different testing scenario (the standard "chainmail on cloth" problem, usually solved by a UV-based projection or a replication/deformation approach like this one ).
    I have done cloth simulations a lot, I am currently the "head of Mica's underwear" on the Trollbridge project, I "live and breath" soft body simulations (to some degree, as the tools I used are rather limited). I am familiar with the problems cloth simulations create and this deformer here should be able not only to create cool Sci-Fi-corridors, but also solve the chainmail problem.

After I helped someone around here (in private) with ideas and code fragments, I am now facing accusation of publishing other people's ideas (ideas, mind you - not code, solutions or whatsnots. Ideas.). That hurts.

It makes me realize that sharing tools for free, discussing ideas in the open and helping people can backfire badly. I'll set my Github reps to private now, before I get more daggers like that.

After some thought, I am going to leave images and thread up here, since what I showed is all based on my own ideas (i.e. approaches to how to solve it, not the idea of putting chainmail on a cloth sim, that's been done before).

Marc