Fabric 2.3 and Blocks is now available

Kevin TureskiKevin Tureski Posts: 126 ✭✭

We are thrilled to announce the immediate availability of Fabric 2.3 ... with Blocks!

This release is more than just the introduction of Blocks, there's also:

• Lots of UX improvements, including a revamped Function Node Editor
  • A basic Linear Algebra extension
  • Lots of bug fixes, including particular focus on Alembic import/export

As always, the full details are in the Release Notes and you can download Fabric here.

We've created a new Blocks discussion category so that you can ask questions and share how you are putting Blocks to use in your .canvas graphs.

If you are going to be at Siggraph, be sure to check out the Fabric Engine User Group next Tuesday July 26, 10:00 am to 6:00 pm (Room 201B, Anaheim Convention Centre). The user group schedule includes sessions featuring Blocks and Fabric Engine 2.3, as well as the ‘Fabric for Unreal’ pipeline, a rigging workshop and customer presentations from Double Negative, MPC and Psyop.

Team Fabric

Comments

• Roy NieterauRoy Nieterau Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Seems like a major release! It's great to see the Blocks feature out there which I think has been a popular request.

Great work again!

• jfriedmanjfriedman Fabric for Houdini Posts: 81 ✭✭

Wow, what a release! Great examples too. I can't wait to really dig in and make some blocky things.

Hope to see a lot of you at Siggraph!

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Blocks (and loops) are great! Actually the greatest thing in nodal "programming" since the invention of 1.5dimensional toast (to avoid that sunny-side-issue when having it fall)!

But there are quite some other goodies hidden in the release notes that I also like :-)

Now all we need is RTR2 ... now. Here. On my machine.
    OK, I take that back, I am ungrateful (hey, I am German, I am designed that way).

Sigh - I wish I could make it to Siggraph - if Siggraph only took place somewhere sensible. Like, say, in Alfstedt.

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Posts: 132 ✭✭

Great update! Blocks and Port UI improvements are impressive. But I still need manipulation tools, asset list and RT Raytracing Renderer for handy work with FE. I hope all these things will appear soon

Let's say NO to Autodesk®Fabric®

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

Hi @AlexanderM , thanks for your feedback. What do you mean with Asset list?

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

Hi Borja. I mean something like separate Objects (assets/containers with geo, points, other data trees) and list (something like scene Explorer in XSI, outliner in Maya)

edited July 2016

Or if simplified something like "Visible in Scene Explorer" checkbox in Nodes. In General, we need tools for organizing Project/Scene

• scaronscaron Fabric for Houdini Posts: 171
    edited July 2016

@AlexanderM I believe SceneHub is intended to help with this. It's more like a scene graph you see in a DCC which allows you to organize and build scenes. Those objects could be driven by canvas/kl...