A few small bugs in Maya 2014

So I finally managed to get Canvas running in Maya 2014 and give it a go. I was following some video tutorials on the fabric engine website, when I noticed a few things.

1) When you press Tab in Canvas to create a node, I cant type the letter F. It instead frames the currently selected object. How strange that this happens even with the canvas window in focus, as in all other areas of Maya you can of course type the letter F without it interpreting it as the "frame selected" command.

2) In the same example when trying to type "deform.push", i just typed "push" (because f is not working). I noticed that if I type "pus" the deform.push node shows, but when I type "push" it disappears?

3) Lastly I noticed that when I zoom in, the text goes all pixely and is basically only readable at 100%. Actually noticed this in Canvas standalone too, any ideas? (I am running Canvas 2.3.0 on Windows 7 64bit on a Late 2013 27" iMac with Bootcamp).

Thanks,

Armin.

Tagged:

Comments

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

hmm ... smells like Qt issues to me.
    I don't Maya, so I may be completely wrong - but is it possible that the (seemingly quite old) Maya version you are using is bringing a defective / not up-to-date Qt with it that Fabric/Canvas is getting forced to use?

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

• seltzdesignseltzdesign Posts: 80

Possibly, but its the same story in the canvas standalone, so I doubt its strictly Maya's fault. Very annoying. At least on the Mac side it works fine ;)

I wouldn't say "Maya's fault" (incompabilities of libraries are not really a "fault", I think). Since it works perfectly here on Windows, I guessed the way I did (and because of the looks of the screenshot).

With a little luck some Fabric-Guru pops his or head out and has something more helpful to add than me!

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

Hi @seltzdesign

Thanks for your feedback. We are investigating these glitches in the internal ticket FE-7207
    Stay tuned!

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

• Daniele NieroDaniele Niero Posts: 233 ✭✭

No that this helps in solving the issue but, just for the sake of having some more info, I'm not having the draw issue and I'm as well using Windows 7 64 bit but I'm with Fabric 2.3.1 (the burrows branch). I haven't noticed that problem before though...
    I also have a mac at home with windows 7 on bootcamp, if I'll have some time I can give it a try and see.

edited August 2016

@Daniele Niero Thank you. I think this is not a general issue, but I am still not sure why it is happening. I have another iMac with an identical setup and the text rendering issues are not happening there. I know its not Fabric's "fault", but thought to mention it here in case someone knows a solution (other than reinstalling Windows). Fabric is the only software where the rendering issue is so apparent though.

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

I did some more testing and couldn't get to reproduce the drawing issue nor the problem using the tabsearch on Fabric Engine 2.3.0. We had a similar issue long time ago regarding the tabsearch but it was fixed long time ago.

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

edited August 2016

@borja yeah, its really strange. I recently ran a repair install on Windows 7 and that didnt resolve it. Last resort is either a fresh install, which would be a gigantic pain or make the update to Windows 10 and hope it gets fixed along the way, but Microsoft has just ended their free update period :angry: Will report back if I get it sorted.

The other normally much better alternative is running it on OS X, which works flawlessly, but I use Rhino & Grasshopper, which is just for Windows for the near future.

What can I do to fix the tabsearch "letter f"-problem though? Reinstall Maya?

@seltzdesign as far as I know you can still upgrade to Win10 for free if you bypass the license code entry upon installation and register Win10 after it has been installed with a previously not Win10-upgraded Win7 key. This "workaround" probably gets killed soon, but last time I discussed this with someone, it still worked.
    But anyway, there seems to be something strange with your system (my bet still is on Qt), as the tabsearch can not have anything to do with Maya as such.

Marc

@malbrecht Ok, so I googled Qt. Is there a way I can reinstall/fix it? It sounds kind of plausible that it is that (its some sort of UI environment, right!?). Because on top of all those bugs, in a lot of software, including Maya, it doesn't display the lowercase L any more. Its annoying to say the least:

It is not confined strictly to Maya, but other software too, although I just wanted to take a screenshot of Maya 2014 and there its working!? This screenshot is from Maya 2017, which I just installed freshly.

Starting with a fresh install of Windows 7 would be a major pain, because of all the software installs (Fabric being a major contributor there).

What a gigantic piece of s**t Windows is. So glad I can switch over to OS X when I've had enough, but sadly some software still needs Windows.

:) I feel your pain.

What I would do, though, is uninstall any possible QT you might have in your system, any Python bindings (PySide and/or PyQt).
    Go to you Control Panel -> Program and Features (I think, I have win10 here...) and try to remove all QT stuff.

Good luck!

Hmm ...

What a gigantic piece of s**t Windows is.

This statement alone makes me consider not posting a response. Not that I am a Windows fan at all, but replacing it with OS X sounds like volunteering for the guillotine because you caught a flu.

Anyway: I suspect most programs bringing their own (linked or shared) Qt libraries, so if you have "a lot of software" (read: not just Maya/Fabric, but other software) displaying garbage, it's unlikely that installing a Qt package will solve the problem. It just smells like something "more global".

I assume you did a repair scan (sfc /scannow), as that is the standard procedure if anything "more or less global" is flaky, I also assume you made sure that your graphic drivers are up to date (just to make sure that there isn't something "obvious" going wrong, NVidia drivers, especially beta drivers, sometimes do very strange things to a system).
    What you could try - usually without having to reinstall your software - is a repair installation of Windows, using a Windows boot stick or CD. Since you probably have a full backup of your system, this wouldn't harm, except for maybe having to re-roll to the backup if it totally fails (which would be a sign of your system being seriously damaged anyway).

Marc

• Fun boy moment :)

This statement alone makes me consider not posting a response. Not that I am a Windows fan at all, but replacing it with OS X sounds like volunteering for the guillotine because you caught a flu.

Os X is Unix, any Unix is better the Windows, I don't know what there is to discuss about :)

• Fan boy moment concluded
      (I'm just having some fun, obviously, nobody should take me too seriously)

@malbrecht yes, it was meant as a bit tongue in cheek. I use windows all the time and have done for the last 15 or so years. Its alright. It works. But in terms of usability it just so often annoys me (not that OS X never does). The amount of things I have to deal with is just a real pain, when like us, you do 95% of your work on a computer. Installing drivers, installing all sorts of other stuff, just so another software works. It just feels like I have wasted so many days of my life with just fixing things in Windows on all those PC's at work. A few years ago it was a necessary evil, because most of the software didn't run on OS X. Nowadays there are just a few exceptions, which will be a thing of the past soon as well (pretty much just Rhino left right now, which is already on the Mac, but no Grasshopper yet).

Anyways, rant over. Back on topic:

I have done the sfc /scannow thing and it hasn't changed that situation one bit. Not tried the repair installation of Windows yet (which I will do later). Graphics drivers (Nvidia) are fairly up to date (14.07.2016) and not beta.

I DO have a lot of different software installed, which is part of the reason why I would like to avoid doing a fresh install of everything.

Not seeing anything with "Qt" in Programs & Features.

ps: had a flu last week - was considering the guillotine more than once :lol: