How to set far clipping plane in Canvas

I am wondering how to set the far clipping plane in Canvas Standalone. Its rather short as it is and I cant fully see my geometry I am creating, because it is rather large in Canvas world coordinates. I cant really scale things down, because transforms for the instances and the instance file are coming from separate sources.

I also noticed that mesh intersections between instances look really jagged from far away and then more smooth when viewed close up.

Any solutions?

Tagged:

Comments

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

I'd like to have better control over the clipping plane (and many other things) too in Canvas, but somehow expect we will see RTR2 before considerable improvements to inline drawing ...

You should be able to merge your created geometry into a single polygonMesh layer and scale that by a modify.transform node, though ...

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

• seltzdesignseltzdesign Posts: 80
    edited August 2016

Okay, fair enough. I am just trying to scale everything down, but it means switching from DrawMeshInstances to MergeMeshClones for the instancing, so it outputs the mesh, right? But MergeMeshClones wants an input mesh (empty mesh??). Do you know how to hook it up?

Thanks once more,

Armin.

ps: sorry didnt see you are already on reader-v-4 on the other thread.

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

You might want to have a look at the (horrible) tutorials I did for Fabric - or the (good) tutorials others did :)

A "polygonMesh" is a container for "polygonMesh geometry data". In order to store anything into such a container, such a container must first exist.
    Therefor, to merge some mesh clones down into a polygonMesh, just input an empty polygonMesh into the IO port of the merge node. Press tab and type "emptypoly" and you should get the right node.

If you want to avoid the additional nodes for the scaling, you can input the scaling Vec3 directly into the modify.transform node, just double click on it and spread open the Xfo entry until you find the scaling values.

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

Ah ok, now I found it. You know, I DID know what to look for :wink: but when you type "emptymesh" PolygonMesh.EmptyPolygonMesh doesn't show up, but EmptyPolygonMesh.meshVar does!? Man, the fuzzy search in Canvas is really bad at finding ALL the nodes that match my search.

So now I found it and its working, thanks!

• Kevin TureskiKevin Tureski Posts: 126 ✭✭

Yes, we are aware that searching can be improved (there are several tickets already logged around this). Continuous improvement to the UI/UX of Fabric/Canvas is a theme that will continue for some time.

• AhmidouAhmidou Posts: 179 ✭✭

@seltzdesign you can update the clipping plane this way

@Kevin Tureski said:
    Yes, we are aware that searching can be improved (there are several tickets already logged around this). Continuous improvement to the UI/UX of Fabric/Canvas is a theme that will continue for some time.

I have no doubt about that at all! You guys are doing an amazing job and its far from an easy task! I am actually an Interaction Designer, but am now more concentrating on 3D and programming. So please take my criticisms as purely constructive! I will continue to give my input as to how things can be improved in my mind, having experience in a lot of others visual programming tools (vvvv, grasshopper, max/msp, quartz composer, unreal engine, etc.) and most of those do some parts really well. Once I get to know Canvas a little better I will make some suggestions.

In any case I can't wait what you guys have in stock for us - it sure is exciting! :smiley:

@Ahmidou Thanks so much, I will give it a try!

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

Hi @seltzdesign

I am sorry about the inconvenient of setting the far plane as Ahmidou suggests.

We have the internal ticket FE-5857 to expose canvas viewport settings (including things like the near-flar plane) in a better way!

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.