simple Tron Hologram style effect

imdingimding Posts: 16
edited September 2016 in Canvas Standalone

the second of a series of exercises in Fabric, this is a simple polygon creation and manipulation tool. for anyone just beginning to learn Fabric (like me), feel free to get the file and tinker with it. c&c are welcome as well.

EDIT: made changes according to feedback by @EricT

Comments

• EricTEricT Administrator, Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 305 admin

@imding Cool stuff! Great to see samples being generated by the community.

There are a few things I would recommend you look into.
    1. Generate a PolygonMesh[]array and resize it to the size of the Ring_Density paramter. You should create a variable for that array and use the get / set variable nodes to resize them. That should happen on it's own execution branch (port 1 of an Execute.Merge4 node)
    2. Using a for loop node or in a function node (like you are) you should generate the geometry and set it onto each mesh in the PolygonMesh[] variable. Again this is a separate execution branch (port 2 of an Execute.Merge4 node)
    3. Remove the setTransform() method call in the Generate_Ring node. This is not efficient as it's doing a geometry deformation instead of just transforming the full polygon mesh. There is a DrawPolygonMeshArray node you should use instead. This should speed things up

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

Hi @imding

Thanks for sharing this example. I noticed a memory leak when playing the sample and I have created FE-7270 to investigate it.

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

This memory leak was fixed and will be part of 2.4.0

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.