Custom Path Tracer asset with KL (Kaiser Renderer)

AlexanderMAlexanderM Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi folks.
I want to share my new experiment of using Fabric Engine. This is a continuation of the project Kaiser Renderer (Caracal Core)*. This is a simple path tracer written with KL. It works of course NOT fast, but faster than I expected. I tested some of the features that were previously not tested (blocks, recursion and so on). Thanks to Vladimir Frolov (http://www.raytracing.ru/) and Oleg Bliznuk for advice in basic questions on the theory of path tracing.

*it's all a joke, I do not have any serious intentions ))

Let's say NO to Autodesk®Fabric®

Comments

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

Really nice @AlexanderM !

Mind sharing some numbers on the performance and the process? :)

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

• mootzoidmootzoid Fabric Employee Posts: 185 Fabric Employee

Thanks for sharing the screenshots, @AlexanderM , looking good!
    Same as @borja : very curious about a few numbers :)

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Posts: 132 ✭✭
    edited September 2016

Oh, I could not figure out how to run Fabric timer, but I can say that it is not fast, Maxwell is much faster) But I liked that everything runs stably for heavy rendering, I'll think next to optimize to run faster. I haven't used a custom structures to a scene run without any custom extensions (by the way, I would very much like to in the future be able to create structures and objects within the canvas)

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016

Very cool!

I wanted to create a scanline renderer in KL for NPR rendering but was somehow getting off track with Fabric ... seeing this definitely refills my motivation reservoir!
    THANK you!

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

• scaronscaron Fabric for Houdini Posts: 171
    edited September 2016

@AlexanderM Awesome stuff! Are you using an acceleration structure for any of the intersections?

and how are you visualizing? 3d points in space? or are you writing to disk a 2d image using OIIO?

This brings me to RTR2 and how to best have your render progress show in the viewport as you are panning around. It will be much easier for you cause you are using KL but for external renderings which are bound to KL might be making its own threads it can get tricky.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Posts: 132 ✭✭
    edited September 2016

@scaron I used standard acceleration structure (Octree) and standard raycast method. For visualizing i used both 3d points and writing to disk a 2d image (standard extension). In this project I just have been testing the features of FE and also checked the another algorithm and solution of rendering equation. As for myself, I found many interesting minor things, for example Hammersley point set. I've attached the scene in the first message.
    I want to continue to explore raytracing theme, in particular to consider BVH structure (everyone says this is the best AS) and intersection algorithm from Embree docs and source files.
    PS: I also want to say that I was initially inspired by ICE experiments of Paul Smith

• scaronscaron Fabric for Houdini Posts: 171

Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing.

• jfriedmanjfriedman Fabric for Houdini Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited October 2016

Hi Andrew, this is pretty amazing. One suggestion for a feature to add, I've found that visualizing the paths of the rays is really useful, especially with refraction or multiple reflections. Example: http://www.jonahfriedman.com/wp-content/uploads/exponential_ray_growth.png

Fantastic work!