Error installing beta 14

Hi all,

I'm receiving this error on installing Beta 14, as you can see I do have the latest UE4 installed.

Thanks,

Martin

Comments

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

Hi @gooner442

Are you launching the installation with admin rights? (try right clicking the installer and select "Run as administrator".

If this still gives you the same error, would you mind to open the registry (type the windows key then write regedit and click enter).

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EpicGames\Unreal Engine\ and search for the folder 4.13. It should exist. Then, at the right check the value of the InstalledDirectory key. It should have something like "C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.13". Let us know what do you have!.

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

• gooner442gooner442 Posts: 20

Hi Borja, running as admin doesn't make any difference.
    What I have in my registry doesn't show 4.13, the locations are as shown below.

ue4.JPG 90.6K

Hi @gooner442
    I am not sure why you don't have a 4.13 folder inside Unreal Engine regedit (look at mine)

As a workaround, would you mind to add the 4.13 folder manually, then add under it a String value with the name InstalledDirectory and "C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.13" as content and try the installation again?. Thanks!

Borja Morales
    Fabric Software Inc.

Hi @gooner442

Did you get this to work with the suggested workaround?

Borja Morales
    Fabric Software Inc.

• gooner442gooner442 Posts: 20

Hi Borja, Thanks for your help but I haven't yet tried to get this to work, I've gone back to the older workflow for now (Rhino-3ds_Max-UE4) as I've had too many problems using the betas, I'll come back to it at some point but the problems I had with it were holding me back from learning UE4.

• Hey guys,

Just tried Borja's workaround and it did indeed work.

I had copied a version of Unreal from elsewhere, which obviously must not have set up the registry correctly.

I wonder if it would be worth adding a feature into the Fabric installer to specify where your Unreal directory is to avoid this workaround?

Cheers.

Hi @BrenainnJordan

Thanks for your feedback. It is unclear to me why in some situations Unreal doesn't get to write their registry. I have filed the internal ticket FE-7455 to add support to a custom defined Unreal directory if the default is not found.

Borja Morales
    Fabric Software Inc.

• Sergei FrizzellSergei Frizzell Posts: 2

Hello @borja
    I have tried the workaround but the fabric installer would not recognize the new reg string. I proceeded to uninstall all the unreal engine versions i have followed by the epic games launcher itself. Then, I ran my registry cleaner to make sure there is no residue of the software in the registry. Next, i reinstalled the epic games launcher and only installed the unreal engine 15.3. This seemed to fix the problem and the fabric engine was installed.

@Sergei Frizzell

Thanks for the effort and your explanation. At this point is unclear for us why in some setups the registry data of Unreal is not properly set. We might have to change how we find for the Unreal version in the system.

Borja Morales
    Fabric Software Inc.

• HelgeHelge Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 314 Fabric Employee

Hey guys,

the next drop will feature a plain old directory picker. The content of the directory will default to the standard installation location, but in case that cannot be determined you'll be able to pick the location yourself.

Stay tuned.

Research Engineer @ Fabric Software