TextWriter funny evaluation

Hello guys. While trying to cache values I have noticed the TextWriter has an awkward evaluation. Unless one closes the file [ TextWriter.close() ] it will eval values from a previous frame. This can be seen in the attached image where the written value is inconsistent with the reported value.
Is this the intended behavior? It makes things confusing when storing the TextWriter in a variable.

Comments

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Moin,

hmm ... I cannot reproduce that behavior here (see screenshot, please) - are you sure that your filePath component is correct?

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

• Gustavo BoehsGustavo Boehs Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey Marc. I'm pretty sure. I miss described the problem, the writer does not get the value from the previous frame, but from the previous eval. I see from your 'Log Messages' that you have evaluated frame number 2 several times, so the by the seccond time you did this the file caught up with the report. Could you go to the next frame to see what happens?

edited October 2016

If I may ask you for one more thing. Save the canvas file and re-open it. It will be evaluated twice, one at frame 0 and the other at whatever frame you saved the scene at... But it will write 0 to the text.

edited October 2016

Hi,

this is a very odd behavior indeed!

OK, here are the results of the German jury:

• when you create a NEW (log) FILE, everything seems to work fine (except for that frame 0 thing upon opening the scene - Fabric starts with frame 1, so this "0" is kind of wrong-ish, but I think that should just be covered by user code)
    • when you enter the frame number manually (in the timeline gadget), everything seems to work 100% correct
    • when you use the frame-advance-button, only the report-node gets the updated data, but NOT the textwriter (it won't output a new value, as it seems)
    • using the "back to frame 1" button won't write a new value either
    • entering frame numbers manually 1-2 times "fixes" things

In short: The frame-control-buttons are wonky. Manually entering data is better. Creating a new log file (or, probably, deleting an existing one and the creating a new one) seems to be reliable.

Now I made things even worse ... I am sorry! :)

Marc

I sent a note to "bugs@" linking to this thread, in case they are busy in some other universe these days (as it seems) :)

Hello Malbrecht. Thank you very much for having the patience to look at this. :)

Sorry, completely forgot to update this with the report-number Borja gave me: FE-7345

• mootzoidmootzoid Fabric Employee Posts: 185 Fabric Employee

Hi @Gustavo Boehs, hi @malbrecht ,

just wanted to let you guys know that we can no longer reproduce this issue.
    We must have magically fixed it while fixing other timeline related issue for version 2.5.0 :)

Thanks for reporting the issue, if you find anything else please let us know!

Cheers,
    Eric