Fabric 2.3.1 with support for Maya 2017 and 3ds Max

Kevin TureskiKevin Tureski Posts: 126 ✭✭

Fabric Engine 2.3.1 Now Available

Along with a few bug fixes for issues that were found after the release of 2.3.0, this release introduces support for:

• Autodesk Maya 2017 (including Update 1)
  • Autodesk 3ds Max (including 2015, 2016 and 2017)

We have had really good feedback on the 3ds Max integration from those with early access, and we’re excited to add it to our growing list of DCC integrations. In addition to Maya and 3ds Max, Fabric Engine is integrated with MODO – including the recently announced MODO 10.2 – and Autodesk Softimage; there is a Cinema 4D integration in development as well. Note that the Maya 2017 integration uses Qt 5 whereas the rest of Fabric continues to use Qt 4.

For full details, please see:

Release Notes:

Builds:

Documentation:

If you are new to Fabric, you can download it from the Get Fabric page.

Advanced Blocks Demo Coming Soon

While we’ve got your attention, we thought we’d let you know that we’ve heard your requests for more advanced and production relevant examples, along with explanations of how they were designed. We’ve been working on something that should prove to be both interesting and helpful; it was created to show how to leverage Blocks in several different ways. Here are a couple of screenshots and a short video clip.

Millipede in Maya 2017

Millipede in 3ds Max 2017

Follow this link to see a short video clip of the Millipede in Motion

Stay tuned to the Fabric Blog for more.

Team Fabric

Comments

• AhmidouAhmidou Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi @Kevin Tureski,
    Thanks for the update and the preview of the advanced demos, this is looking awesome!

While looking at some of the fixes I found that the Passthrough node is still named PASSIO, also I can't find the new Switch Case node, it's not in the Core/Control section and I can't find the preset file.

It might be my mistake, but I'm not sure where to search then.

Cheers
    -A

• Kevin TureskiKevin Tureski Posts: 126 ✭✭

Not your fault Ahmidou. In fact, it is mine. I included a few too many issues in the Release Notes. What you noticed is something that had been fixed in what will become 2.4.0 and that we thought would be useful to "back port" into 2.3.1 but signals got crossed along the way and it is not actually in 2.3.1.

Here are the issues that were inadvertently listed as fixed in the 2.3.1 Release Notes:

FE-7234 Switch Case has been added to the presets to wrap the KL switch statement

FE-7260 In a previous release, we removed the PASSIO preset. In hindsight, that was not such a good idea so we have added it back, renaming it to the more sensible name ‘passthrough’

FE-7130 Removed default content on Array AnyElementMatches so it shows as polymorphic

I expect that we will re-upload the releases with corrected Release Notes so that others don't run into this discrepancy.

Sorry about that folks.

Kevin

• AhmidouAhmidou Posts: 179 ✭✭

No worries, and thanks again for the update.

• Roy NieterauRoy Nieterau Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016

Sweet!

I so want to play with that Millipede! The way I read it it's not yet included. Any ETA?

Hi Roy,

Yes, your reading is correct - we thought we would share some work in progress. The work on the actual millipede is progressing well and almost "done" (in quotes, because we will continue to expand on it in the future), but we also need to "wrap" it with helpful explanations of how it was put together, how to extend it etc. We're actively working on it but I don't want to set expectations beyond "as soon as we can."

Here’s another teaser … Only a few more sleeps until we have this example ready to post :-)

• scaronscaron Fabric for Houdini Posts: 171
    edited October 2016

rendered with RTR2 or ...?

Maya 2017 / Arnold ... we're going to include the .ma file(s) required with the example. This is just a quick sneak peak. A longer clip with improved leg logic is in progress.

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

This ...

... is very cool indeed. And there is more:

In particular I like seeing live on-screen-handles put to use ;)

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

Hi @malbrecht ... Glad you like it. For any and all discussion on Morris, please use the Centipede Central subforum: http://forums.fabricengine.com/categories/centipede-central