Morris on a moving surface (and great work!)

jfriedmanjfriedman Fabric for Houdini Posts: 81 ✭✭

The animation produced by the rig is very compelling and would be very time consuming to do manually, and then seeing how the solver responds seamlessly to scaled segments and differently segmented legs is pretty amazing. The integration with blocks is really interesting too.

I haven't dug in yet, but I'm imagining a use for the block presets might be to modify the solve so that the multipede can crawl over a character who is also moving (perhaps in response to having a giant centipede crawling on him). How might that work- perhaps post-solve, you'd store all the locations on the mesh and offsets from it, and then pre-solve in the next iteration you'd update those to the new locations so that this is what the solver sees as the starting position?

Comments

• mootzoidmootzoid Fabric Employee Posts: 185 Fabric Employee

Hi @jfriedman,

thanks, glad you like our first "production sample" :)

a use for the block presets might be to modify the solve so that the multipede can crawl over a character who is also moving

Good question. While it would be very easy to implement that in the extension's KL code, to do this with blocks suggests that we add something to make it easier. Not saying it can't already be done, but we want it to be easy and intuitive.

I will think a bit more about this and see what needs to be added to the extension, stay tuned!

Cheers,
    Eric