early feedback from a new user

Hi everyone! I've just started using Fabric this week... at my new job at Dwarf Animation Studio... after 9 years in the video game industry. Lots of new things!

I took a bunch of notes while reading through the docs and playing around with the samples, so I thought I'd share them here. Obviously I'm still a noob with Fabric so apologies if some things don't make much sense.

• Overall, coming from a background of C++ and C#, KL is pretty straight-forward.
    I'm actually surprised you don't mention C# anywhere in the docs, don't know if it influenced the design or not, but some concepts can be easily translated, eg struct vs object == struct vs class (or value-type vs reference-type), map-reduce looks like parallel Linq, etc.

• Can a struct/object have mutable members (that are allowed to be modified inside of const methods)?
    Since cached objects are immutable... I'm still struggling to wrap my head around cache nodes, for a gamedev having to either build or clone something on every update is heresy ;)

• Is there a way to get/set a variable node programmatically?

• namespaces?
  • Not having to bother with .h/.cpp is great, but I wish I could declare methods directly inside the struct definition itself, eg:
    struct Foo { function bar() { } };

• Not too sure I understand the difference between RTVal and the Object interface... except that structs can also be RTVal'd? Is wrapping a value in an RTVal similar to boxing in C#?

• Parallel Execution Statement:
    It is possible and even encouraged as a programming practice to make recursive PEXes.
    ... that sounds interesting! examples? Do you mean things like map-reduce?

UI woes

• I find the function editor very cumbersome!

• Having to go back and forth between function and canvas is painful, why isn't it in its own window?
    • I'm sorely missing a "save" shortcut! I don't really see why ctlr+s couldn't save the function if the editor has focus, and the graph otherwise. Alternatively, how about ctrl+alt+s? Or F6, which is "compile" in Visual Studio (and then F5 to reload... not sure what it does though).
    • Also a "back" shortcut, as long as code & canvas are sharing a window...
  • The value editor is... lacking. Very hard to make something artist-friendly as soon as the number of ports becomes significant.

• Can we make structs serializable/editable in the value editor? Obviously Vec2/3 and Xfo etc all do it, where's the black magic to do that? I tried to copy Xfo from the built-in exts, rename it and import it in my custom exts: not editable...
    • Can we provide our own UI widget for a given struct/canvas?

Documentation bugs, mostly in the KL programming guide (if there's a better place to report those, please let me know)

• Forward-declaring co-recursive functions doesn’t seem to be necessary anymore. Haven’t tried not forward-declaring structs/objects yet.
  • Methods definitions inconsistency:
    this is read-only if the method returns a value and is read-write if the method does not return a value.
    … then later on Methods Taking Read-Only or Read-Write Values for this:
    Changed in version 1.12.0: this now always defaults to read-only in method definitions unless an explicit ! is specified after method name; the default no longer depends on whether the method returns a value.

• The String Type example typo: String.length() is a method, not a member

• The Type Type.isA() example seems broken, the output is all errors:
    . (stdin):22:3: error: must use parentheses to call methods

• Direct assignment overload: example is malformed

• The markdown parser seems to be choking on math expressions, for example:
    • Variable-Size Array: The maximum size of a variable-size array is . (according to the source, the blank spaces contains ":math: 2^31-1")
    • The String Type: The length of a string is value of type Size, and the maximum length of a string is .
    • Trigonometric functions: Warning This function doesn’t work for large x and can only return values in the range ;
    • etc...

R&D Developer at Dwarf Animation Studio

Tagged:

Comments

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin
    edited November 2016

Hi @benblo

Thanks for your feedback, it is much appreciated.
    Some answers, quoted

@benblo said:
    Hi everyone! I've just started using Fabric this week... at my new job at Dwarf Animation Studio... after 9 years in the video game industry. Lots of new things!

• Is there a way to get/set a variable node programmatically?

No

• namespaces?

They are in the short term roadmap!

UI woes

• I find the function editor very cumbersome!
      • Having to go back and forth between function and canvas is painful, why isn't it in its own window?
      • I'm sorely missing a "save" shortcut! I don't really see why ctlr+s couldn't save the function if the editor has focus, and the graph otherwise. Alternatively, how about ctrl+alt+s? Or F6, which is "compile" in Visual Studio (and then F5 to reload... not sure what it does though).
      • Also a "back" shortcut, as long as code & canvas are sharing a window...

Indeed. We have the internal ticket FE-5529 to make the function editor detachable.
    Good point on the save shortcut. I have filed the internal ticket FE-7526

• The value editor is... lacking. Very hard to make something artist-friendly as soon as the number of ports becomes significant.
      • Can we make structs serializable/editable in the value editor? Obviously Vec2/3 and Xfo etc all do it, where's the black magic to do that? I tried to copy Xfo from the built-in exts, rename it and import it in my custom exts: not editable...
      • Can we provide our own UI widget for a given struct/canvas?

This can be done but currently implies to do changes to the FabricUI library. We should offer an API/plugin system to make this easier (FE-7527)

Documentation bugs, mostly in the KL programming guide (if there's a better place to report those, please let me know)

The best place to tackle bugs (either core or documentation typos) is sending them to bugs@fabricengine.com (one bug per email please:) ). I am taking care of the ones you posted here so don't need to send them again!. Thanks for all the work collecting them!

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

• benblobenblo Posts: 29

Well that was fast, thanks!
    Is the roadmap public?
    Same for the FE-xxx tickets you mention, can I track them somewhere?

R&D Developer at Dwarf Animation Studio

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

Hi @benblo

The tickets are internal, I put them for reference. When tracked where they come from so when we fix them we communicate that.

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

• Paul DoylePaul Doyle Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 229 admin

Regarding our roadmap - that's something we can discuss with you guys offline (since you're customers), but we don't publicly share our future development plans in that kind of detail.

CEO at Fabric Software
    Twitter