Instant Meshes node

AlexanderMAlexanderM Posts: 132 ✭✭

I have long been looking for a Remesher Tool for using in my pipeline. So far I have not found anything better than this free program https://github.com/wjakob/instant-meshes . I compiled this program as Fabric node, and added all the basic functions (except Guides). And I also have builded two nodes to make symmetry asset. The first node deletes half of mesh, the one other rebuilds the second symmetry half after remeshing process. This program works pretty fast, but unfortunately not perfect, sometimes it admits the open holes in difficult places (I noticed the same problem in exe version).
But in general this tool is useful for me, it creates a regular mesh and can be useful for procedural assets.
PS: I also noticed that Canvas standalone computes much faster than the version under Maya

upd: v2 is actual. I have added checking of empty input arrays to avoid a crash if inMesh is disconnected

Let's say NO to Autodesk®Fabric®

Comments

• scaronscaron Fabric for Houdini Posts: 171

very nice! Wenzel's work is top notch! And I have used instant-meshes standalone too, its great for getting quad meshes from photoscans.

loving that extension dev kit? :)

• HelgeHelge Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 314 Fabric Employee

Very impressive. Well done. Good to see your progress. I am going to test this stuff for sure. Thanks!

Research Engineer @ Fabric Software

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Posts: 132 ✭✭
    edited January 13

I'll be glad if someone wants to make improvements to code and to add other functionality.
    I was surprised that I did not found in Maya any auto remeshing tools.
    I think that the best auto remesher tool is the tool in ZBrush, it would be cool to add something like that in Fabric

Alexander you should get a free github account and just put it all up there.

I'm waiting for the appearance of "Fabric Store"...I'm joking). Ok, I'll try github, but I prefer the conception like that portal http://rray.de/xsi/

You can post the pre-compiled binaries in the 'release' section. Don't source control the compiled results. for example...

https://github.com/videojs/video.js/releases

edited January 13

I noticed the problem, I don't know what causes it, but I want to fix it. I wrote the report commands to track the location and I found that it's located in KL part, Fabric could not build output PolygonMesh, maybe it gets an incorrect topology, but it does not log errors or crashes, it just freezes using 1 cpu core. This does not happen often, but I have found few cases. (attached pic)

Also I want to inform my general observations using custom nodes:
    1) For the first run Canvas executes node twise, then if reusing it executes once.
    2) Sometimes Canvas does pauses in calculation, I'm waiting for the result, but it is not. Then I am looking to the Task Manager (Windows) , Canvas does not use CPU , I press any key in Fabric Console and after then computation continues. It's strange

edited January 15

Offtopic, finally I found a solution to save the viewport renders to disk. I used a direct access to OpenGL. It's useful if you need to save animation/simulation preview sequence. I have shared the node.

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Hi, Alexander,

that is very helpful, thanks so much for sharing!

I desperately need to get into linking extensions to Fabric, I just don't find the time to trial and error my way through it - thank you for constantly motivating me to kick myself in the butt!

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

@AlexanderM said:
    Offtopic, finally I found a solution to save the viewport renders to disk. I used a direct access to OpenGL. It's useful if you need to save animation/simulation preview sequence. I have shared the node.

Nice snippet of code @AlexanderM !

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

• mootzoidmootzoid Fabric Employee Posts: 185 Fabric Employee

@AlexanderM this is a great tool! Ha, I might even use it for an upcoming video I need to do ;)