Normal Maps, Displacement Maps, and World Displacement

Hi All,

I've been trying to import object with materials that utilize normal maps and displacement maps (from rhino, materials are vray) and I've run into a few problems.
1. Rhino seems to preview the normal map of a material in rendered mode which causes that map (and only that map) to be imported into an unreal material.
2. When a normal map is imported both the sampler type for the texture sampler, as well as the image compression settings are incorrect. Both need to be fixed in order for the material to display correctly.
3. Displacement maps don't work at all with meshes imported from a .3dm file. Even if I import and set up assets correctly (basically rebuild the material inside unreal), as soon as I apply a displacement map, the material disappears from the mesh and is replace with the default world grid. If I export that same geometry to an fbx file and import, the material will apply to the mesh and displace it.

Since I'm just learning Fabric, my first assumption is always that I've missed something. Are others aware of these issues? Did I in fact miss something? Am I able to correct these issues with an import pattern?

Thanks,

Comments

• HelgeHelge Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 314 Fabric Employee

@Space_Cowboy,

thanks for the information. Can you provide us with more details on what settings are incorrect and ideally also provide an asset file illustrating the problems? Feel free to share an asset privately with us and send an email to bugs@fabricengine.com

Best!

Helge

Research Engineer @ Fabric Software

• Space_CowboySpace_Cowboy Posts: 5

@Helge

Sorry just saw this - I've stepped away from visualization for awhile (I'm production staff at an architecture firm, so trying to leverage fabric engine/unreal for client visualization in my spare time). I'll try to send the example to the email you provided above as soon as I can.

Unrelated note: are y'all at Fabric working with integrations for Revit/IFC data? I've tried Enscape - it's nice because it automatically produces collision meshes for walls/floors etc. and materials are adopted straight from our Revit models, so we don't have any duplication of effort. I prefer, however, the quality and flexibility of Unreal engine. Programming isn't really my background so all the talk of wrapping libraries, etc (and trying to figure something like that out myself) is a bit over my head at the moment.

Thanks,