EvalContext stripped down in 2.4 ?

AhmidouAhmidou Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,
Any particular reason some members of the EvalContext have been removed in 2.4?
It was containing some useful data and I believe it should be extended instead (like with begin/end of timeline).
Also I know the manipulation system is going to be overhauled soon, but though it's easy to fix the manipulation_drivingports scene is broken because of that.

Cheers.

Tagged:

Comments

• EricTEricT Administrator, Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 305 admin
    edited February 20

Hi Ahmidou,

The Drive Ports samples should be working without issue. I just tested here locally. Can you confirm on your side?

Also, we've added a few features in the degas daily builds:
    http://dist.fabric-engine.com/FabricEngine/degas/Documentation/HTML/CanvasUserGuide/timeline.html

You can create ports timelineStart, timelineEnd and timelineFramerate (Float32, Float64, UInt32 or SInt32) in the standalone to get this information. In the DCCs you'll need to create those ports and create expressions on the exposed ports to get the same functionality.

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

• pzionpzion Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 118 Fabric Employee

Just to answer the original question: these values needed to be moved the the EvalContext singleton to graph ports because a singleton causes race conditions when multiple graphs are executed in parallel within Maya.

Peter Zion
    Fabric Engine

• AhmidouAhmidou Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hey Eric,
    My bad, it's not working when drag'n dropping the scene into Maya because of the namespace renaming.
    The timeline feature is nice, thanks!!

Hi @pzion ,
    thanks for the info, it make sense.

I was also looking at the data persistance specially the in the WeightMap ext and found out that it's not using the Persistance interface
    anymore.
    I'm trying to get it working with the RTValToJSONEncoder and RTValToJSONDecoder, but we don't have access to the scene file path which was provided by the EvalContext and the PersistenceContext.

What would be the preferred workflow for this?

Thanks

All right, after some trial and errors I got it working. It's now saving the weight map as meta data not an external file.
    Here's the modified file and graph

Note that I couldn't find that much info about that, specially the fact that the port needs to be IO (even it make sense)
    So maybe an updated example scene would be cool.