Error when converting large mesh to Maya

StephenTStephenT Fabric for MotionBuilder Posts: 77

Hi,

I'm piping quite a large poly mesh into maya, and it seems to work but throws errors:

[FABRIC:MT] Error: setUVsFromExternalArray: sampleCount doesn't match! (4092327 vs. 4094376).
// [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] Error: setUVsFromExternalArray: sampleCount doesn't match! (4092327 vs. 4094376). //

[FABRIC:MT] KL stack trace:

// [KL]: [FABRIC:MT] KL stack trace: //

[FABRIC:MT] [ST] 1 method.setUVsFromExternalArray.L.Uo11PolygonMesh.R.EaFl32.R.Iu32() PolygonMeshDCCConversion.kl:378

It's not so important to me, as the mesh is used for positioning things (not rendering), but it is still concerning.

As a related question, is there any way to pass a mesh from Maya to Fabric without using a port? For example, in Fabric Max (shameless plug) I could just write $MaxObject.setArgValue(maxMesh) and the data is converted from Max mesh to Fabric mesh under the hood. Is there an equivalent command for Maya?

Tagged:

Comments

• mootzoidmootzoid Fabric Employee Posts: 185 Fabric Employee

Hi @StephenT !

I tried reproducing those warnings and errors with large meshes and was unable to get those warnings/errors. The "large poly mesh" is probably not the issue here, but rather its topology. These kind of errors usually occur with geometry that has something unusual about it, for example a vertex that is shared by a very large number (> 256) of polygons, double edges, non-manifold edges or polygons with less than three vertices.

Could you perhaps provide us with the the Maya scene (or the polygon mesh) that you are using?

As a related question, is there any way to pass a mesh from Maya to Fabric without using a port? For example, in Fabric Max (shameless plug) I could just write $MaxObject.setArgValue(maxMesh) and the data is converted from Max mesh to Fabric mesh under the hood. Is there an equivalent command for Maya?

By "without using a port" I suppose you are meaning "without having to connect a port", right?
    If so then that will only work if the mesh is encoded as a JSON string. Passing only the name of the Maya mesh will not work.

Thanks!
    Eric

• StephenTStephenT Fabric for MotionBuilder Posts: 77

Ok - thanks.

I can't give you the scene (sorry) - but I'm getting a lot of warnings thrown when loading geos, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the poly had some weird stuff going on.

By "without using a port" I suppose you are meaning "without having to connect a port", right?

Ok - that sounds workable... next step - could I encode the maya mesh as a json string?

This isn't a huge concern - I can live quite happily without it and in many instances its probably better to have the connection (eg load/save works etc).

• mootzoidmootzoid Fabric Employee Posts: 185 Fabric Employee

I am not aware of any "out of the box" way to encode a Maya mesh as a Fabric JSON string, sorry.