Canvas errors on non-existent ports?

StephenTStephenT Fabric for MotionBuilder Posts: 77

Hi,

When creating a fabric node in Maya, I seem to always get the following errors:

// Error: line 1: setAttr: No object matches name: canvasNode1.evalID //
// Error: line 1: setAttr: No object matches name: canvasNode1.saveData //

I rename my nodes immediately after creating them, so I suspect that this may be part of the cause. However, I see the errors long after loading a new graph, so i don't understand how fabric decides to connect them, or why it waits so long to do so.

What are these ports for? Why does maya try and connect them then? Is it bad that I don't have them?

Tagged:

Comments

• EricTEricT Administrator, Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 304 admin

Hey @StephenT,

How are you going about the rename of the nodes exactly? Sounds a bit pedantic but it may help us track down the issue.

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

• StephenTStephenT Fabric for MotionBuilder Posts: 77

def create_fabric_node(name):
    fabricNode = cmds.createNode("canvasNode");
    newName = cmds.rename(fabricNode, name);
    print("%s created as \"%s\"" % (name, newName))
    return newName

Thats it exactly.

Note - I'm creating dozens (soon to be hundreds, then thousands) of these nodes. Is this a problem? will the overhead penalize performance in any way?

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

Hi StephenT

We fixed this in degas as part of the job done in FE-7993 (Error when duplicating Canvas nodes in Maya) by introducing a new command FabricCanvasIncrementEvalID to increment the eval id in a delayed fashion. The command uses the index of the base interface (the canvas node) instead of relying on the name of the node since maya renames nodes in several situations.

Let us know if this works fine for you.
    Also, if you find any performance problem when scaling up to the thousands of nodes.

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

• StephenTStephenT Fabric for MotionBuilder Posts: 77

Sorry - this isn't in 2.4?

I should upgrade, then call this function immediately after creating my fabric node? Sorry, I'm not 100% clear on what should be done (I don't find the command in the docs).

Currently, I'm getting almost unusable FPS at < 100 nodes. I think this must be due to some error in my setup though. I'm looking into this today