Windows 7 Installation Issues

SystemSystem Posts: 4 admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Fabric Engine 2.4 released!.

Comments

• jprynejpryne Posts: 10

Right off the BAT, I'm having trouble:

Under Windows7, I open PROMPT.BAT

This appears to set %PYTHONPATH% to directories with no files, only more directories.

"python" is unrecognized.
    "source" is unrecognized.
    "canvas.py" doesn't work either, due to some issue with QtCore and QtGui.

Is there any guide or tutorial to get new users to the starting line? All the tutorials I've found seem to assume that installation went flawlessly, and you're ready to start coding.

• EricTEricT Administrator, Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 304 admin

Hi @jpryne,

Do you have Python installed on your system? It appears that you may not have it installed and it is require to run Fabric. Please install Fabric 2.7.x and try to use the prompt.bat file again. Canvas is built as a stand alone Python application and thus will need Python to run.

The prompt.bat file calls environment.bat which is setting all the necessary environment variables to ensure all dependencies are set before launching the application.

Please install Python (if it is not) and reply with your progress.

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

edited March 17

Yes, I've installed Python2.7 at C:\Python27
    I've also added the above folder location to my %PATH% environment variable.
    Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Okay, apologies, my issue centers around just not getting Python to work, no matter what I try. I added it to the environment variable. I ran the win_add2path script. I've tried using the SETX command. Nothing seems to work unless I call python by it's explicit address. I'll pursue this as a Python issue rather than a Fabric issue. Thanks again.

edited March 17

Got python running by modifying environment.bat (really unsure as to why it wasn't working before, as I'd already added it to the PATH environment variable from the System settings...)
    Still getting the QtCore and QtGui issue though..
    Do I need to install Qt?

You shouldn't need to modify the environment.bat. What was the change you made?

What is the QtCore and QtGui error you're getting? We ship with PySide that Canvas uses so you shouldn't get an error either.

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

@EricT said:
    You shouldn't need to modify the environment.bat. What was the change you made?

What is the QtCore and QtGui error you're getting? We ship with PySide that Canvas uses so you shouldn't get an error either.

I'm getting:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\fabric\FabricEngine-2.4.0-Windows-x86_64\bin\canvas.py", line 11, in (module)
    from PySide import QtCore, QtGui
    ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

I need to see your modification to the environment.bat or canvas.bat files that you said you made please. :)

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

Also just to clarify, you're running on a 64 bit system and installed a 64 bit version of Python correct?

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

@EricT said:
    I need to see your modification to the environment.bat or canvas.bat files that you said you made please. :)

I simply added:
    SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\python27\

But I think you're right. I grabbed Python from the top link at:

https://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.13/python-2.7.13.msi

-whereas I probably should have grabbed:

https://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.13/python-2.7.13.amd64.msi

Downloading the AMD64 version now. Will report back momentarily...

Yeah that is probably the issue.

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

That did the trick! Funny, I'd thought that 32-bit software would run fine on a 64-bit system, but obviously there was some conflict in this case. I haven't used KL in a while, and I'm on a new machine; do I need a new license? Not sure where my old license code went...

Yes you probably need a new license. Go here to fill out the form again to get a new license:
    http://fabricengine.com/request-fabric-evaluation/

There are incompatibilities between .dll's that are compiled for 64 bit when trying to run them on 32 bit versions of the software.

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

Up and running. Thanks so much for your help, Eric!