Installation?

Hi folks

Can anyone shed some light on why there is no installer for Canvas?

Thanks

Comments

• HSrdelicHSrdelic Posts: 13

Thanks, already aware of that :)

Wouldn't it be easier to have simple installation? That way even non tech savvy users would dive into Fabric more easily...

• borjaborja Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 480 admin

Hi @HSrdelic

We are focused on other areas of improvements in Fabri Engine itself, but we understand your suggestion and we will come back in the future to improve the installation process.

Borja Morales
    Technical Product Manager
    Fabric Software Inc.

• malbrechtmalbrecht Fabric for Houdini Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Hi,

writing an installer for Windows should be rather straight forward - what is it exactly that you would like to shift to an installer? The only "possibly irritating thing" for a non-shell-user seems to be setting up environment variables. I always felt like if you are going to use a development/pipeline system like Fabric, an ENV var should not be more off-putting than the color choice for Canvas' default interface :)

Seriously: I could probably put together a Windows installer script to take care of the Env vars, if you feel like that makes sense.

Marc

Marc Albrecht - marc-albrecht.de - does things.

Hi

Answer is simple and it is about making it easy for anyone to try canvas quickly, especially people who are not "technical" and simply offering less cryptic experience. It is about availability and usabiltity. There are many artists who are willing to learn, why not make it easy for them? The argument that people who can't do it shoudn't even bother and are not target of the product, well, that kind of reminds me of changing bios irq values for proper soundblaster installation in dos - who needs driver installation, right ;)?
    If even one potential customer was put off and lost by lack of installer, which seems to be a low hanging fruit, then it is worth doing.

Just my 2 cents

Sorry for having asked/offered my help. It seems you are personally offended by the way Fabric is supplied.
    I am sure the Fabric guys are giving your suggestion the appropriate thought!

Marc

Oh, maybe something got lost in translation, I am certainly not offended and managed to install just fine, but just wanted to suggest that installer would make more rounded product. Sorry, I didn't realize you were offering help, kind of presumed we were talking in general :)

• Paul DoylePaul Doyle Administrator, Fabric Employee Posts: 229 admin

Hi there - we are working on issues relating to 'first touch' experience with Fabric. For example, the new Tab Search in 2.5 was a big overhaul that was very much needed. We have a big list of things to improve within Canvas and only a small team to do all of the work. Fabric is a platform for building tools, so we generally assume (based on what we get told) that the people using Fabric don't want to use an installer (just look at the fun people have with installing Python) as it can change critical settings in their environment. This means that building installers is relatively low priority versus everything else we could be doing. I get your point regarding 'if even one customer is put off', but I can make that argument about any and all aspects of Fabric - we have to pick which ones have the most value.

Thanks for the feedback though, it is very useful to hear from new users as they bring fresh eyes to the product. Please keep it coming - we're quite thick-skinned ;)

Cheers,

Paul

CEO at Fabric Software
    Twitter

• th_designsth_designs Posts: 3
    edited April 24

Hi guys, yah I had a difficult time getting started as well. Still finding my swimming legs with all the different file types. Didn't realize since I'm on Windows I should avoid the ".sh" file types and only use the ".bat" to assist in the setup. Missed that fine print on the documentation at first! I've successfully got this licensed and now moving forward. Took me probably 2 hours total to dig around and figure out the whole setup process. Between selecting which license type, downloading the size of the package, and scraping the install documentation, this was pretty painful to get going. I'll be honest my background is Architecture / Design but have deep familiarity with visual programming platforms such as Grasshopper and Dynamo. Main reason I'm here is to establish a better visualization pipeline for our design solutions piped over to Unreal. The shear size of our project work means we need plug+play solutions on the visualization front to handle iterative design and user groups outside high-end graphics that typically are used as the initial selling point to invest. Anyway! I 'believe' I'm running now and am excited to sink my teeth into things. Cheers!

edited April 24

Moin,

@th_designs : Sounds like you are addressing two different issues there. Windows10 for sure is fully capable of running Canvas and/or Fabric.
    For canvas to run properly, the environment variables have to be set up correctly, which you can get by executing environment.bat before starting canvas.py.
    There should be a "canvas.bat" batch file that does just that: Call environment.bat, then start canvas through Python.

As for the license code - when in doubt, do write to support, they are usually very quick and get you sorted out!

Marc

• th_designsth_designs Posts: 3

@malbrecht thanks for the reply! Yes that seems to be working for me and I have a license. Can you clarify how to get the canvas.py running? I believe I have to first launch the 'prompt.bat' to have the command line active and then launch canvas.py to initiate- right? Working to get latest version of Unreal now and confirm everything is flowing. Thanks!

Hi, Timothy,

Canvas is the "standalone" editing host for Fabric, if you are working from inside a game engine, you may not even need to run Canvas at all. That said - you don't need to run prompt.bat, as that "only" gives you a command line interface to Fabric, basically setting up the environment variables and path extensions, so that you can run the interpreter directly.
    If you want to have a one-click-canvas starter, the best option is canvas.bat, as I said above: That one includes the environment.bat and then starts canvas.py, assuming your Python environment is set up properly (which I assume it is).

Marc