Observations / issues

Hi folks

Here are some observations regarding usability of Canvas, some of them could even be considered as bugs by QA.

Canvas node is cutoff by some pixel margin on the graph borders

Node gui state in value editor is not saved, meaning that unfolded parameters in interface are collapsed once the node is selected again. This leads to tedious extra steps to manipulate parameters.

Ports on nodes can't rearranged, which leads to limited readability and usability in complex graphs due to intersecting lines

No preferences for graph editor (font, wire backdrop, colors, line style etc.)

Frame all missing (once no nodes are selected)

Result node or similar counterpart missing. Currently it seems one can read out values solely by creating custom output port? Ideally, ctrl+drag output port should create a result node with corresponding result value.

Data types on port creation have to be entered manually. There should be a dropdown menu with all available types for user to choose from.

Node gui state in editor needs tolerance for accidental transform. Reason is that many people are tablet users and by clicking (tapping the pen) they generate small transforms of cursor at same time. As a result, node is slightly transformed when user expect gui folding state to change. This one is a bit frustrating...

Recently used node list missing

If I am not mistaken from short assessment, property (port) propagation manager is missing. Here you could easily define, arrange and expose multiple ports as you see fit.

Apart from that, very fun, flexible and robust :)
Last but not least, what is "toggle manipulation" in edit menu?

Hrvoje

Comments

• EricTEricT Administrator, Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 288 admin

@HSrdelic

1. We're aware and will hopefully be looking at it soon.
    2. I've logged this ticket: FE-8418 you can reference that in the future when inquiring about issues.
    3. Ports can be rearranged. You need to go into the sub-graph / function node and rearrange them.
    4. You should be able to create a user config by looking at the docs here: http://docs.fabric-engine.com/FabricEngine/2.4.0/HTML/CanvasUserGuide/configfiles.html
    5. Hitting A on the keyboard will frame all nodes
    6. Not quite sure what you're after with this one. Could you go into more detail please?
    7. The data type for port creation has autocomplete so that you can start typing and it will list the results that best match. Since you can have a variable number of types (since you can have custom types from extensions) we found that the autocomplete was the best solution for this.
    8. I've logged this issue to take a look in the future: FE-8419
    9. We have FE-8355 already logged for this.
    10. What are you missing from the normal workflow for creating ports currently that this port manager would allow you to do?

Toggle Manipulation will allow you to activate manipulators when they are setup for your graph. We have samples in the installation directory that you can load and use.

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework

• HSrdelicHSrdelic Posts: 11
    edited April 22

Hi Eric

Thanks for detailed response, let me clarify 6 and 10 :)

6 Check out this generic example:

Only way to read out the value of expression (or any output) is by hooking it into expose as far as I can tell?
    Would love to be able to read out values by hovering over port or ctrl+dragging the output port which would automatically create a "result" node which would display the value.

10 Maybe this comes from my limited understanding of Fabric ecosystem, but imagine the scenario where you want to expose a value to "top" graph which is buried in some nested constellation. This, as far as I can tell would require multiple exposing per level until the top one is reached, right? This is where propagation manager would kick in, to be central area to manage this more easily.

Cheers

• Roy NieterauRoy Nieterau Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Would love to be able to read out values by hovering over port or ctrl+dragging the output port which would automatically create a "result" node which would display the value.

This sounds similar to hovering over a node in Houdini with middle mouse button held, like this:

But then it could show the output (and maybe input values) of a node.

• EricTEricT Administrator, Moderator, Fabric Employee Posts: 288 admin

Hey All,

We have tickets surrounding the idea of having values displayed more easily on the nodes themselves. It's definitely on our radar.

For issue 10, yes I see that use case, however there is also the case where you would want to place that exposed port in specific locations in each of the port lists for each parent graph and not always expose it at the end. Otherwise you're back in the same boat. What are your thoughts on that?

Eric Thivierge
    Kraken Developer
    Kraken Rigging Framework